Nexus 7: Stuck in 'Boot Loop" after 4.3 update

Tawcoma26

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone, after what was a good day turned to one of the worst. Here's my story...

The dam update notification on my Nexus 7 bugged me until I finally decided to do so. After I realized it still hadn't booted in almost an hour, I freaked. Long story short, my tablet is now stuck in a boot loop and there's no way OUT! Now is there any way to way save all my files, especially my pictures and documents I have saved on the tablet? PLEASE some one help. I still cant believe this has happened.

Here are the specs:
- Completely stock '12 Nexus 7
- No Root

Thanks in advance to you all!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tawcoma26

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Stuck in 'Boot Loop" after 4.3 update

Anyone? Any info is helpful. Appreciate those taking the time to read this.

experiencing the same issue on my Nexus 4 :(

Totally sucks. I never experienced any problems until then. I'm sad and pissed at the same time.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Have you all tried getting into Recovery Mode? For the N7, follow these steps:
1. Turn off the device if it is turned on/
2. Press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down, and the Power Button at the same time for about three to four seconds to turn the device on, if done correctly you?ll see an Android lying on its back.
3. Use the volume buttons to navigate to the Recovery Mode option, and press the Power Button to confirm your choice
4. The device will restart, and after a few minutes the device should boot to a screen showing an Android with a red triangle, press and hold the Power Button and Volume Up on this screen

For the N4, follow these steps:
1. If your phone is on, power it off.
2. Press and hold Volume Down, and then press and hold Power simultaneously until the device turns on. You will see the word Start with an arrow drawn around it.
3. Press Volume Down twice to designate Recovery mode.
4. Press Power to restart into Recovery mode. You will see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
5. While holding down Power, press Volume Up.

Once in the Recovery Menu, try wiping the cache partition and see if it reboots successfully afterwards.

Neox3d

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

This is for Nexus 4...but I am assuming it must not be very different from the Nexus 7. Look at B.DADDY POST FOR THAT.
have you guys had developer options --> usb debugging on? you should. if so, you can at least wipe your phone clean and reinstalling the new 4.3 image.

first try this
Power off the device,
Press power button + volume down button to enter load into fast boot mode
A big "start" in green color would be written on top. From there, toggle with your volume button up or down to when the screen shows "recovery" in red. press the power button once again for selection, your screen would go black and reboot, don't panic. This actually might do the trick, I'm hoping the it will enter the system updating page and your update 4.3 will be installed without a hitch with all of your data intact.

If this does not work. then you will use your data but can save your device easily. follow the same steps

Power off the device,
A big "start" in green color would be written on top. From there, toggle with your volume button up or down to when the screen shows "recovery" in red. press the power button once again for selection..after a moment it will show a green android bit, laying on a black screen, with its hood open and a red triangle on it. Press and hold Power button and immediately press the Volume UP... NOTE, don't hold the power button for too long or you will restart the device. If you miss it a a few time don't worry, happens, just press and hold the power button and press volume up. You will see a short menu saying, android system recovery with four options

1. reboot system now
2. apply update from adb
3. wipe data/ factory reset
4. wipe cache partition.

choose the 3rd option "WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET"

this should get you back to your stock android but will also WIPE YOUR DATA.
Note do this when you have a sufficient charge, at least 60% battery remaining (just plug it for an hour and then do all this).

Im not sure about wiping cache partition but as B.daddy said, it might work.

and if this fails as well, (I hope you had adb drivers and usb debugging on) you can manually flash the nexus image from google onto your device.

I'm sure someone here can offer you a better solution of these fail.

Tawcoma26

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

Have you all tried getting into Recovery Mode? For the N7, follow these steps:
1. Turn off the device if it is turned on/
2. Press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down, and the Power Button at the same time for about three to four seconds to turn the device on, if done correctly you?ll see an Android lying on its back.
3. Use the volume buttons to navigate to the Recovery Mode option, and press the Power Button to confirm your choice
4. The device will restart, and after a few minutes the device should boot to a screen showing an Android with a red triangle, press and hold the Power Button and Volume Up on this screen

Once in the Recovery Menu, try wiping the cache partition and see if it reboots successfully afterwards.

I'll definitely give it a shot right now. Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think no one liked me. haha

Tawcoma26

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

This is for Nexus 4...but I am assuming it must not be very different from the Nexus 7. Look at B.DADDY POST FOR THAT.
have you guys had developer options --> usb debugging on? you should. if so, you can at least wipe your phone clean and reinstalling the new 4.3 image.

first try this
Power off the device,
A big "start" in green color would be written on top. From there, toggle with your volume button up or down to when the screen shows "recovery" in red. press the power button once again for selection, your screen would go black and reboot, don't panic. This actually might do the trick, I'm hoping the it will enter the system updating page and your update 4.3 will be installed without a hitch with all of your data intact.

If this does not work. then you will use your data but can save your device easily. follow the same steps

Power off the device,
A big "start" in green color would be written on top. From there, toggle with your volume button up or down to when the screen shows "recovery" in red. press the power button once again for selection..after a moment it will show a green android bit, laying on a black screen, with its hood open and a red triangle on it. Press and hold Power button and immediately press the Volume UP... NOTE, don't hold the power button for too long or you will restart the device. If you miss it a a few time don't worry, happens, just press and hold the power button and press volume up. You will see a short menu saying, android system recovery with four options

1. reboot system now
2. apply update from adb
3. wipe data/ factory reset
4. wipe cache partition.

choose the 3rd option "WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET"

this should get you back to your stock android but will also WIPE YOUR DATA.
Note do this when you have a sufficient charge, at least 60% battery remaining (just plug it for an hour and then do all this).

Im not sure about wiping cache partition but as B.daddy said, it might work.

and if this fails as well, (I hope you had adb drivers and usb debugging on) you can manually flash the nexus image from google onto your device.

I'm sure someone here can offer you a better solution of these fail.

OK, I'm hoping the first option works. Thanks for the help too.

Tawcoma26

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

Alright, I gave it a shot and right after I held the power and volume button, it looped right back into boot and stayed on the X again.

mrcraft2u

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

I'm not being snarky or sarcastic... But you said you held down the power and volume button... As in singular and not plural. Did you hold down all 3 buttons (power & both volume buttons) at the same time? I hope that's the case because if it isn't then I'm not sure what you can do. That sucks you're having this issue bud... It would tick me off too.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Make sure you're holding down BOTH volume up AND down buttons at the same time as the power button.

Tawcoma26

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

sorry I should have been more exact. I did what you said. I activated the recovery mode. It popped up with an android on his back with the red triangle but it also said "no command."

Again thanks

Collins Onwochei

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site

Hello B.Diddy
I'm new here because of this issue. I have a rooted 2012 Nexus 7 3G that I unrooted using Voodoo app before clicking on the update notification.
On restarting, the nexus has been stuck on the X for more than 12 hours. I followed B.Diddy's direction to go to RECOVERY MODE on my device and I end up in Team Win Recovery Project. I have no clue what to do next; I don't want to lose current data so does anyone here know how I can use TWRP to get the Nexus 7 working again?
Please? anyone?

Neox3d

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

Have you tried "Press and hold Power button and immediately press the Volume UP" when you see the little bot laying down?...that should bypass it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

sorry I should have been more exact. I did what you said. I activated the recovery mode. It popped up with an android on his back with the red triangle but it also said "no command."

Again thanks

As Neox3d helpfully noted, when you get the Android on his back, press the power button and the volume UP button together, then release--when you release, you should see the next menu.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello B.Diddy
I'm new here because of this issue. I have a rooted 2012 Nexus 7 3G that I unrooted using Voodoo app before clicking on the update notification.
On restarting, the nexus has been stuck on the X for more than 12 hours. I followed B.Diddy's direction to go to RECOVERY MODE on my device and I end up in Team Win Recovery Project. I have no clue what to do next; I don't want to lose current data so does anyone here know how I can use TWRP to get the Nexus 7 working again?
Please? anyone?

Sorry, I don't have rooting experience, so I can't give you specific instructions. There are plenty of people who root here, though, so hopefully someone else will have a suggestion.

Tawcoma26

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

Ok I did it, I wiped the cache partition. I pushed the Up and Power but it didn't work. I ended up pushing all three to get to the menu.

Most importantly, looks like I'm still stuck in a boot loop. DAM.

LabRat

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Ok I did it, I wiped the cache partition. I pushed the Up and Power but it didn't work. I ended up pushing all three to get to the menu.

I had the same problem and tried all of that. I ended up using Wugs tool to load the factory image for 4.3.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Ugh. You could also try doing a total memory wipe and factory reset from the Recovery Menu, but obviously you'll lose all of your data.

Tawcoma26

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

I had the same problem and tried all of that. I ended up using Wugs tool to load the factory image for 4.3.

Did you end up losing all your data? How did you do this while stuck in "boot loop?" Thanks.

Ugh. You could also try doing a total memory wipe and factory reset from the Recovery Menu, but obviously you'll lose all of your data.

That's what I was afraid of. I figured that would be my last resort and I was hoping I didn't have to do it. Do you think its possible to root while stuck in a boot loop and recover my files before I do reset?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

That's what I was afraid of. I figured that would be my last resort and I was hoping I didn't have to do it. Do you think its possible to root while stuck in a boot loop and recover my files before I do reset?

Sorry, but I don't have the expertise to answer that ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz