I'm not getting close to 8 hours of battery life

Silas178

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
What's the deal? I'm not getting anywhere near 8 or even 6 hours the battery drains pretty fast even though I keep the brightness all the way down. I've only had my nexus for about two weeks It hasn't been exposed to a lot of heat so I'm hoping its not the battery. Am I'm doing something?
I'm still stock I just got my OTA yesterday but I've been noticing this drain the whole time. Any help or ideas?

Posted via my new Nexus 7 ^_^

Seronac

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
A few suggestions:
1) evaluate what the tablet is doing, what software is running, and what is draining the battery, and turn off or disable and unnecessary features/programs/processes.
2) turn off unnecessary hardware like GPS and Bluetooth.
3) install a battery management app, There are loads of them out there, but one example is Juice Defender.
4) re-evaluate your expectations: I think, unless I am mistaken, that Google touts "up to" 8 hours of battery life.

Silas178

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tips guys I'm not new to android but I was still missing a few things. That link really helps.

I have one more question what do you guys make of this screenshot?
1375274143870.jpg

My nexus died completely last night so I put it on the charger for the night. I went to sleep around 4 and the battery was just reaching 25% when I woke up this morning and checked on it the battery was back down to 8%. Now that screenshot shows a huge unreal spike to 100% then falls all the way back down it also shows that the nexus was not charging for a short period of time but the charger has been plugged in the whole time. Just what is going on?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

gusar2000

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Do you use stock charger and cable?
Allow wi-fi sleep when not on charger.
Looks like some app (apps) runs all the time and device doesn't go to sleep. Check it. In spite of the "Awake" graph shows some sleep time, it could be really none.
Try restart (not the factory reset though!).

Silas178

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Do you use stock charger and cable?
Allow wi-fi sleep when not on charger.
Looks like some app (apps) runs all the time and device doesn't go to sleep. Check it. In spite of the "Awake" graph shows some sleep time, it could be really none.
Try restart (not the factory reset though!).

I do use the stock charger
Oops I did in check that I'll turn it back on
I believe that is accurate I was in a Skype call last night which kept it awake
But why did the graph spike
And how did the battery decrease while on the charger?

Posted via my new Nexus 7 ^_^

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you dropped your Nexus 7 recently? I've read various threads and articles about the battery connector becoming a little loose, which can happen from a drop, but also can happen on its own. There a some YouTube videos that explain how to remove the back cover and check. Here's one:

Nexus 7 Loose Battery - YouTube

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Any app that keeps a device awake especially the screen on will drain the battery and show the downward spike you show.

using Tapatalk 2