Nexus 7 WiFi issues after 4.3 update

benjamin ruiz

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a non rooted nexus 7 tablet that just got the 4.3 update, and since I have been unable to connect to WiFi. I've tried both with my home router and my phone's hotspot, and it'll flash it's connecting for about half a second, then goes back to saying saved. I've tried rebooting the tablet, airplane mode, deleting the connections, resetting the router and toggling my hotspot. When they're both saved they'll repeatedly battle each other for the connection and disable themselves. Tried deleting one at a time yet again to no avail. Wondering if anyone else is having the same issue and might possibly know a fix?

Sent from my Galaxy S4

So I am having the same problem after recent update to my nexus 7 first gen. I called Google support no help there I was pawned off to asus. Asus wanted me I send this in. Before update no isuue , issue popped up after a second 4.3 update. I now have jwr66y. So I tried everything in the book, cold reboot, factory reset. Reset routers and APS still the same.
I fixed this by going into settings, WiFi, advanced, and turning off WiFi optimization.
Now my nexus is connected and stays connected, but very low signal.
I hope Google is able to fix this in a update wish I could go back to 4.2.
Hope this helps some one out.

tryandUwill

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Did u ever fix the issue. My son has had the exact same issue and today. I resolved it by changing the wireless router setting from auto channel to 1. I have not tried the other channels as this works for me. Hope this helps if U have not already fixed your issue.

Davidson Luna

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Solution: Fix Google/Android WiFi Connection - No Internet problem
There is plenty of discussion as to why this problem is occurring. It has nothing to do with you router, nothing to do with rooting your device, its settings nor its firmware.

I have experienced this with my new Google Nexus 7 device. The solution applies to all Google/Android such as the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus Prime.

I have discovered the solution to this random problem! The problem lies with the date & time settings of your device. This may sound strange but if you're one of those unlucky sufferers of this problem who have spend days troubleshooting this problem, check if the date and time setting of your device has been reset to 1 January 2000. Change this and you're done! Sounds like the Y2K problem huh?

Anandnexus7

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
SOLUTION :

ENTER THE WIFI PASSWORD AREA !!
ADVANCE SETTINGS
ADD THE DHCP SETTINGS MANUALLY....set an ip like 192.168.1.5...give the rest of the values manually.
apply./..
you should be able to login !!
Anand Harikrishnan

P31

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
SOLUTION :

ENTER THE WIFI PASSWORD AREA !!
ADVANCE SETTINGS
ADD THE DHCP SETTINGS MANUALLY....set an ip like 192.168.1.5...give the rest of the values manually.
apply./..
you should be able to login !!
Anand Harikrishnan

Thank you sooooooo much! I was getting so frustrated with my Nexus 7 and kept searching everywhere for a fix. Setting the connection to use static IP instead of DHCP seemed to have fixed this.

Thanks!

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Don't ask my how, but ... the "manual date set" method worked for me. For now....

My symptoms:
  • No Wifi problems since 4.3 update. (Current build JWR66Y)
  • Installed several games for my daughter two weekends ago to use up her promotional credit. NO problems. Also some dating apps for Daddy. :-*
  • Ran Scribblenauts Remix Monday or Tuesday morning. No kidding. It started after this.
  • This Tuesday or Wednesday, I noted really slow download times. Then the wifi indicator went gray.[1]
  • Indicator was BLUE when tethered to my Nexus 4 (T-mo). ?:)
  • Throughput was spotty: sometimes Google accounts weren't synced, but synced fine manually.
  • G+ and other content apps would sometimes connect, sometimes fail to login.
  • Finally, last night, the stock E-mail client refused to connect to Yahoo (bad login or password), though I was using the correct values, and confirmed those on my Nexus 4.
  • Setting the Wifi connection from DHCP to Static IP, no joy.
  • Setting the router to issue a specific IP under DHCP, no joy.
  • Confirmed these symptoms at two other locations with known good Wifi connectivity.

[1] Note that according to Google last year the blue indicator was based on positive connection to G+. Gray indicated some kind of local LAN connection, but no G+ connectivity. Access to other Internet sites was irrelevant.

My solution:
  1. Go Settings | Date and Time. Time was correct (NOT January 2000).
  2. Disabled "set time automatically from network."
  3. Set time to current time.
  4. Shut down.
  5. Rebooted.
  6. => Blue icon.

Testing now by installing all those dang games again (I uninstalled them Thursday, as logcat was showing Scribblenauts Remix making network calls on Wifi connection).

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Problem exhibited again at home. Now even when tethered to my N4. Previous remedies, no joy. WTF.....

Addendum: wonder if it's related to this bug.

// Tapatalk 4 on Nexus 4 //

Last edited:

Mike Holiday

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Similar issues however.....

Running 4.3 and can connect with out issues to all networks except my own(?) but other devices can connect without a problem. Similar situation exists with my nexus 4 so is it possible there are compatibility issues between the Nexus & N600 TP-Link Router, although in essence there is no real fault with either?

TheDoros

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I just tried to enter settings manually which didn't alleviate the issue. But once I selected the "forget" button and went through the auto setup again (only entered pass) it started working.

I hope this gets fixed with kit kat

camjammer

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I had similar issues, but I synced my Nexus 7 and my router, using the wps button. Now my connection is rock solid once again, and i have no issues with wifi or with streaming movies on my home network

loki79

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I had this exact same problem. I changed the date to be 'Automatic date and time' in Settings / Date & Time, turned the wifi off and then on again and now the wifi works just like it used to, even with my hotspot.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Problem exhibited again at home. Now even when tethered to my N4. Previous remedies, no joy. WTF.....
// Tapatalk 4 on Nexus 4 //
Tethering actually worked 99.9% of the time since I posted this.

I've since determined that my router was acting up. Other clients were getting a local LAN connection, but not reaching the Internet. Replacing the aging Linksys E1000 with a Netgear AC1450 seems to have resolved the issues. (And ... I updated to 4.4 on the Nexus 7 yesterday. No issues noted.)

Adam Jackson3

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I've just fixed my wifi problem, last week i opened my nexus 7 up because i needed to replace my digitizer and lcd but in the processes by accident i've squished the two gold pins on the mother board which connect the antenna. thus dramatically weaking my wifi signal. i could get signal in the same room as my rooter but the moment i went back to my room i have 1 bar or no signal at all.

after reading some threads on how to strengthen my signal on my nexus 7 i discovered some one had actually soldiered a wire from the mother board to the antenna on the cover which is obviously a really stupid idea. but as they say a wise man will learn a lot from a fool. so i opened up my nexus 7 again and after an inspection i quickly discovered that i had squished the two gold pins down so used my plastic guitar pick and prised up the two gold pins back to their natural position and now i am receiving a strong wifi connection within my home. in fact possibly even stronger than before!

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Solution does not require factory resets wiping data/downloads ect.
All you need is a rooted phone and about a minute of your time.
So go to root browser and find a folder ect in that folder you will find a file called hosts open it up and edit second line of the text.It should look like this (2nd line).
74.125.93.113 android.clients.google.com mtalk.google.com
after that save and reboot your tablet/phone.From what I know every time you restart your router it will go to grey again so just edit that file again if it happens.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan