Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery runs down faster after 4.3 update.

So ever since 4.3 update my N7 battery runs down faster.
    This morning I decided to check it, so unplugged from charger and 7 he's later it was down to 67%. Looked at usage and it indicated android os used 72%.
    I used to leave it overnight without bothering to plug into charger and next morning it never was much lower than the previous night. What gives and what can I do to get back to low battery use when sleeping?

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

Default Re: Battery runs down faster after 4.3 update.

You have to have some kind of rouge all running. My battery had been brilliant since the update. Especially on my N4... check it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery runs down faster after 4.3 update.-uploadfromtaptalk1375482228246.jpg  
    If by some chance I helped you out, please be so kind as to hit that thanks button. You'd be a lot cooler if you did.

Quote Originally Posted by CaMelGuY1337 View Post
    You have to have some kind of rouge all running. My battery had been brilliant since the update. Especially on my N4... check it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Can you compare your 4 to gtt1's 7 ? Apples and oranges ?

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

Of course I can. The N7 & N4 are running essentially the exact same software, outside of some minor differences of course. Here is a screen shot of my N7 (2012) post 4.3Battery runs down faster after 4.3 update.-uploadfromtaptalk1375488740738.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    If by some chance I helped you out, please be so kind as to hit that thanks button. You'd be a lot cooler if you did.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Of course I can. The N7 & N4 are running essentially the exact same software, outside of some minor differences of course. Here is a screen shot of my N7 (2012) post 4.3Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1375488740738.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	75532

So picture my screen and it indicated after 7+ hours that the android OS accounted for 72% of the battery use. That indicates to me the OS isn't sleeping or something else is running. Anyone any ideas what programs will keep it going that were effected by the update. The one thing I did last night which I now wish I hadn't was update a lot of programs.Maybe something in the updates has set a program running constantly. Do all programs that use battery show up on the battery screen? I thought maybe it was the updated maps but according to the screen picture above maps gets shown as a user.

You're not the only one. Mine is running down faster as well, and this is after I did a factory reset following the 4.3 installation and with only a third of the apps I had loaded on it originally. It seems like the first 10-20% of battery usage is phenomenal, but then it drops like a runaway train.

I want to add a ME TOO here as well. Or perhaps, after a year, the battery on the 2012 N7 is finally getting old? Won't hold a charge? Anyhow, it goes down like a rock compared to 4.2.2. Now I haven't added any apps since the update or anything. Just that on an apples to apples basis, the battery is slipping away too fast it seems. I even turned on auto brightness, which wasn't set before, to find out if that helps (it hasn't really).

Oh I doubt that will. Auto-brightness, from my experience, tends to hurt battery life more than manually setting the brightness to a steady level because the device's sensors are always running and scanning the environment in order to make adjustments. I think the only time auto helps is when the user's normal manual setting is 66-100% brightness.

As for my N7, I keep it around 25% brightness, and the battery is dropping faster.

I'm noticing the same thing. I doubt it's a battery issue since I bought it the end of March.
    Keyboard Warrior

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Of course I can. The N7 & N4 are running essentially the exact same software, outside of some minor differences of course. Here is a screen shot of my N7 (2012) post 4.3Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1375488740738.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	75532

Android OS is more than the screen-on time, and tablet idle is almost as much. It looks like you've barely used your Nexus 7 in the past 3 days. I can easily get battery life like that if I just let it sit there.

I'm only getting around 4 hours of just browsing the web with Chrome on mine after the 4.3 update, though 4.2.2 wasn't much better anyway.

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

I think the main culprit of battery life is the fact that we use the heck out of these things. It's like I tell everyone that asks me about phones and what not...if you want great battery life, don't use the thing...lol. Until battery tech finally catches up with hardware and software tech, battery life is always going to be an issue. 4 solid hours of screen on time sounds about right, because that screen is the biggest drain on your battery hands down. From the processor constantly having to redraw everything to the brightness level, it's going to suck the battery dry. I'm letting my N4 sit after a full charge just to see if the battery has taken a significant hit in life. It's sitting at 96% with it being 9h 50m into the idle. I do know that if i do just let it set I should be getting over a week on the battery, roughly around 8 days....we shall see though.

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

My battery life has been trash since the update...i get a 8 hrs w/ 45 minutes of usage

Absolutely horrible. Specially standby time/idle usage is very bad. Previously it used to drain 1-2% during my sleep. Now after 4.3 upgrade, it 10-15%. Charge at night, wake up and the battery is below 90%. Standby time has reduced drastically.

Very few apps installed, not bad reported in wakelocks.

I would add that I see something similar . after full charge and idling tablet didn't sleep at all, draining battery. But I would say the culprit was some app I ran before charging. Suspecting USA Today or BBC News. If I restart it, everything should be back to normal.
    But I suspect it happened before with 4.2.2. May be now it's more prominent.

BTW, don't see this happening on my N4... For N4 the standby time greatly improved after 4.3 update.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Update; Just restart didn't help. I disabled Google search, stopped running service and restarted again. Now it helped.
    Interesting observation (by Eaton Scrapple) about the launcher behaviour. Need to watch it... Strange, though...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery runs down faster after 4.3 update.-1375833333596.jpg   Battery runs down faster after 4.3 update.-1375833352728.jpg   Battery runs down faster after 4.3 update.-1375833366975.jpg  
    Last edited by gusar2000; 08-08-2013 at 01:13 PM.
    Thanked by:
    lmvine 

I've narrowed this down somewhat. I noticed the battery was draining about 1% every five minutes I had it in my hands! I found out if I moved the home launcher screen to the leftmost one, the CPU went down to 1%. If I moved it to the middle or the right page (where most of the app icons are), the CPU shot up to 23% and stayed there! There is distinctly something rotten in Denmark here, folks. But if you want to preserve your battery at idle...slide the launcher to the empty first page, the one that sits on the left of the home page there! Also, if you are INSIDE an app that is idling, the mysterious CPU drain stops, so you could just leave it with an app open, I guess. Just stay off the "home" launcher page! I used an app called COOLTOOL which tells you your CPU usage (free).
    Thanked by 3:
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

My N7 battery life is much improved now.

What I did was
    1) removed Transparent clock & weather app which I kept getting notifications it had stopped and which never worked properly after the update. Switched to a transparant clock and weather app within Fancy Widgets app
    2) went to my running processes and found a number of apps which I didn't need which even after closing them seemed to become running apps on their own. Uninstalled them.
    3 Reduced screen brightness

Seems to be a lot better but not as good as before the update as I find I am needing to charge about 1-2 hours earlier than I used to.

I think the main culprit of battery life is the fact that we use the heck out of these things. It's like I tell everyone that asks me about phones and what not...if you want great battery life, don't use the thing...lol. Until battery tech finally catches up with hardware and software tech, battery life is always going to be an issue. 4 solid hours of screen on time sounds about right, because that screen is the biggest drain on your battery hands down. From the processor constantly having to redraw everything to the brightness level, it's going to suck the battery dry. I'm letting my N4 sit after a full charge just to see if the battery has taken a significant hit in life. It's sitting at 96% with it being 9h 50m into the idle. I do know that if i do just let it set I should be getting over a week on the battery, roughly around 8 days....we shall see though.
    But this is the point - "...if you want great battery life, don't use the thing...lol." - I don't want the device to discharge battery when I don't use it. But it does. Something time to time making Android OS to run the battery down... Which is definitely the OS flaw. And it's more prominent after 4.3 update...
    E-book can be sitting around for MONTHS and you can pick it up and read. No worry about re-charging it every few days. I know, I can switch it off, but still sleep mode should give you plenty of idle time...
    Last edited by gusar2000; 08-13-2013 at 12:14 PM.