Wait for OTA Rootkeeper to be updated, or use another 4.3 update method?

Roy_Baty

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
OK, so I'll admit I'm lazy. I want an id10t-proof and minimum-work method of doing the update, while retaining root (8 GB Nexus, so I can't survive without StickMount).

I'm not having any of the slowdown issues that others are complaining about, so I don't need fstrim any time soon.

The Nexus has downloaded the OTA update, and is asking me to install it.

Is there a quick and simple way of recovering root after the update (everything I've seen involves downloading the developer tools), or should I just sit and wait for Voodoo to update rootkeeper?

Or another solution?

Thanks for any advice,

Roy

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
If I were you I'd be doing a bunch of reading over at XDA. You'll get all the root methods over there within several minutes of browsing. Usually even doing it manually is a piece of cake, though.

Roy_Baty

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
If I were you I'd be doing a bunch of reading over at XDA. You'll get all the root methods over there within several minutes of browsing. Usually even doing it manually is a piece of cake, though.

Well, the "bunch of reading" is exactly what I'd like to avoid. Like I said, it's pure laziness. I've gone thorugh the root steps once, and am not excited about doing it again. Rootkeeper has been my hero for 4.1 and 4.2. I'm willing to wait three to six months, if necessary.

But on your other line, do you mean Manually as in local to the tablet only? I am not likely to have access to a Windows machine for the next month or so, and my Mac is PPC.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Mac is tough and I'm not knowlegable with it. Windows and Linux only, sadly. Manually as in using ADB, which I think is a lot of fun!

Well, the "bunch of reading" is exactly what I'd like to avoid. Like I said, it's pure laziness. I've gone thorugh the root steps once, and am not excited about doing it again. Rootkeeper has been my hero for 4.1 and 4.2. I'm willing to wait three to six months, if necessary.

But on your other line, do you mean Manually as in local to the tablet only? I am not likely to have access to a Windows machine for the next month or so, and my Mac is PPC.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I was going to suggest using wugfresh's toolkit but since you are on a mac...

OTA rootkeeper is going to take a while if it ever gets updated... The dev has said he has no idea how to approach it for 4.3.
Unless you want to wait an indefinite amount of time, I think some reading is in your future.

Roy_Baty

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I was going to suggest using wugfresh's toolkit but since you are on a mac...

OTA rootkeeper is going to take a while if it ever gets updated... The dev has said he has no idea how to approach it for 4.3.
Unless you want to wait an indefinite amount of time, I think some reading is in your future.

Yeah, I used wugfresh for my original root, so I would hope for a similar experience...

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
This only works if you already have root, are on android 4.2, have the latest twrp, and don't have a custom ROM installed.

Simply download the 4.3 update zip file and the latest superuser root file, at least version1.45. With in TWRP apply the update zip file and then the root zip file. Only after you've done this reboot. If you skip a step you will lose root.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Roy_Baty

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
This only works if you already have root, are on android 4.2, have the latest twrp, and don't have a custom ROM installed.

Simply download the 4.3 update zip file and the latest superuser root file, at least version1.45. With in TWRP apply the update zip file and then the root zip file. Only after you've done this reboot. If you skip a step you will lose root.

Posted via Android Central App

Cool, that sounds simple enough. Thanks, will give it a try.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante