help with nexus 7

Mike Cardin

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
So in her infinite wisdom my wife bought a nexus 7 off of craigslist without telling me because it wad such a "good deal". Well the thing has a password on it and I can't get into it. I've done a little research and it appears there's no way to do a hard reset. I can get to the screen where the android is on its back but nothing can be done from that point. PLEASE HELP!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try contacting the seller to see if they can give you the password. If they don't know the password, I'd suspect it was stolen.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Keep trying to contact the seller. Did he or she seem totally on the up and up, or possibly a little shady? It would totally suck if this turned out to be a hot item.

If you absolutely have to do a factory reset, when you get to the Android with the red exclamation mark, press Power + Vol Up at the same time, then release. That should get you to the Recovery Menu.

Mike Cardin

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I didn't deal with them but I can only assume that they were less than upstanding citizens. At this point I just need to get into the darn thing

Tomen8r

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
U should be able to hard reset using the volume button method

- - - Updated - - -

U should be able to hard reset using the volume button method

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the OP has tried the hard reset, but was stuck at the Android on its back with the red exclamation point and "No Command' screen. I had suggested the next step, which is to press the power button and vol up at the same time, then release, to get to the Recovery Menu.

Mike Cardin

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Once in recovery mode then what. I've gotten that far. Keeps getting stuck on the Google screen. Never goes to the android with the red symbol. Anything special I need to be doing?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I'm sorry--I thought you had gotten to the next screen. When you're on that screen with the Android on its back, can you change what's in the upper box to Recovery by pressing the volume up or down keys? If you can, then press power when you see Recovery. The next screen should be the Android with a red exclamation point and the words "No Command." That's where you need to press power and volume up at the same time.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar