Newbie can't figure out how to use google talk

gezenguz

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I just picked up a brand new nexus 7 last week, and by and large, I am very satisfied with it. This is my first tablet ever and I am still familiarizing myself with the interface and trying to figure things out.

There is one thing I can't figure out. How to use google talk, if it is possible at all on this platform, I don't know. Normally, in a regular computer I just click the telephone icon in gmail and I am ready to go. But gmail looks different in Android. I can't find the telephone icon.

I've already searched the internet but found nothing relating to this feature which is incredible.

Could anyone who is more experienced with this platform instruct me how to use the google talk feature or point me to some tutorial or instruction that a newbie can understand?

Thanks a lot.

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Are you trying to make a phone call? You cannot do that without 3rd party software. Try GrooVe IP. It has a free version that will work on wifi.

If you are trying to use the instant messaging feature, that has been re-branded Google Hangouts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I just picked up a brand new nexus 7 last week, and by and large, I am very satisfied with it. This is my first tablet ever and I am still familiarizing myself with the interface and trying to figure things out.

There is one thing I can't figure out. How to use google talk, if it is possible at all on this platform, I don't know. Normally, in a regular computer I just click the telephone icon in gmail and I am ready to go. But gmail looks different in Android. I can't find the telephone icon.

I've already searched the internet but found nothing relating to this feature which is incredible.

Could anyone who is more experienced with this platform instruct me how to use the google talk feature or point me to some tutorial or instruction that a newbie can understand?

Thanks a lot.

You need to use Google Hangouts to make video calls. It is not done through Gmail.

gezenguz

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm going to explore hangouts to see what it can do. I have a paid account with google because I use google talk regularly to call my parents and relatives oversees, that's why I was asking about this feature.

?regression?, thanks for the GrooVe IP software suggestion I explore it as soon as I will have time.

?deathbysnoosnoo? thanks for the excellent tutorial.

Asus_Fred

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Also, if you were referring to Google Voice, you can download the app from the Play store. It allows you to make international calls, since you mentioned you had an account that could possibly be what you are looking for.