Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help with folders/apps for documents and PDFs?

Hi,

I am trying to figure out if I can do this with the Nexus 7, and if so, which apps I would need to make it happen. I prefer apps available through Amazon, if at all possible.

Basically, I'm looking to create a main folder, WORK, on the home screen. Within WORK, I want sub-folders, such as PERSONNEL, PAYROLL, etc. In PERSONNEL, PAYROLL, etc, I would like to have Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, and PDFs. Maybe some PowerPoints. I would like to be able to tap WORK, then tap PERSONNEL, then tap the doc I want to open.

Is this possible? If so, any help, or links to how to do it would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Help with folders/apps for documents and PDFs?

Most 3rd party file manager apps (like ES File Explorer) give you the option of placing a shortcut to a folder on the homescreen. If you tap that shortcut, the file manager app opens up to that folder, and if you have subfolders, you can then tap those subfolders. Typically, if you tap a document in any file manager, it will open up. I'm not sure if there are any good apps that allow you to open up a folder hierarchy on the homescreen.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks B. Diddy. I installed ES File Manager, and I think I understand it. When I create a folder in it, I cannot see it in Nexus 7>Internal Storage when I connect to my Win7 PC. I can see the DCIM folder in both ES and Win7, and if I drop a file on the PC into that folder, I can see it on the Nexus, BUT...if I make a subfolder inside DCIM, and then put a file in it, I can't see the subfolder on the Nexus in ES. All I can see is the file within DCIM. (For example, DCIM>NewFolder>NewFile.pdf on Win7 is DCIM>NewFile.pdf in ES on the Nexus.

I've found other people having this issue, but no solution?

I think it's because the USB connection with the Nexus 7 is MTP (Media Transfer Protocol), which hides a lot of the folders except for media folders.

You could try using AirDroid instead of connecting via USB. This allows for wireless file transfer and folder exploration using your desktop.

If you create folders IN android, you need to reboot your device before your computer will see them...

[edit]: I have not experienced the opposite...if I transfer stuff from my pc, I can always see it immediately with ES.

[edit2]: The other thing you could do to avoid the general crappiness of mtp mode is set up some network (smb) shares on your computer and then access them wirelessly using ES's LAN tab.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I think it's because the USB connection with the Nexus 7 is MTP (Media Transfer Protocol), which hides a lot of the folders except for media folders.
    I think you got that backwards. PTP protocol is the camera protocol that only shows media. MTP will show all regular sdcard files and folders, but sometimes you have to restart the N7 for them to appear on the computer in a usb MTP connection. Also, with MTP usb debugging should be on.

I'll have to test that out again on my phone. I thought MTP still hid other data folders.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AC Forums mobile app