1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Uploading Ebooks

I have thousands of Ebooks. Mainly .mobi files. I currently can't upload one single file.

After searching these foums I have downloaded kindle and nook.

When I try to paste the files to the nexus I get an error message saying

"error copying file. .mobi file type is not supported on this device."

I tried pasting it to many places but get the same error. I've tried creatingg a folder called "Ebooks" and pasting it there as recommended elsewhere, but still get the same message.

I finally gave up on .mobi and downloaded a convertor. converting the files to .epub

I've tried pasting the files in lots of places on the nexus, including the kindle folder, the "nook/my documents" folder and the newly created "Ebooks" folder.

Exactly the same error.

My laptop operating system is windows xp professional.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Uploading Ebooks

You can try with or
    Both read ebooks from the SD. I use Kobo reader (I know... who cares? xD)

I would recommend the app I use which is Coolreader, there are others but that is the one I like after trial and error and I use Calibre to convert all my books to epub. Rather than have Calibre put them on my Nexus I just do it myself transferring from my PC hooked up with USB or wireless transfer using usually to a folder called ebooks and then coolreader finds them. My wife uses a Kindle and I tried the android Kindle app but didn't like it. If you want to get it from the playstore and try it you might want to read

Since the OP cannot even copy the files, telling them your favourite ereader app is not particularly useful (btw, mine is aldiko!).

Try making sure mtp mode is enabled on your device. That could be causing the transfer problems.

Welcome to the forum
    I use Calibre
    Download Calibre to your computer, copy your eBooks to it by clicking on 'Add Books'
    Then plug in the Nexus 7, after a pause it will pop up as 'device' then just add each eBook to device
    Lots of hints and tutorials in the Mobileread forum, just Google 'Mobileread'

The Nexus 7 sticks the eBooks in a folder called 'books' or 'eBooks'
    I use an app called 'ES File Explorer' to find files on the Nexus 7, when I've found the eBook I want clicking on it brings up a choice of my eReader apps including Aldiko
    Clicking on Aldiko opens the eBook and also puts the eBook on the Aldiko bookshelf, I put about a dozen eBooks on the bookshelf so I can easily select what I feel like reading

I've just put a Sci-Fi eBook in Kindle format 'mobi' on my Nexus 7 and reading it in the Moonreader+ app, checking that it works OK

If your eBooks are DRM encrypted you won't be able to read them !
    If the mobi eBooks were purchased from Amazon you won't be able to read them except on the device they were purchased for
    Try loading some mobi format eBooks on your Nexus 7 using Calibre (it's free)
    If you still have problems post back here, I and other Android Central members will try and help further
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks people. Think Mr nobody knows What my problem is here. I can't even transfer the files to the nexus for any programme to even try and recognise them.

I have checked the settings and mtp is I need enabled. Any further ideas??

Sorry it sounds like maybe your pc doesn't have the right drivers. Maybe search around (here/google) to see what is needed to connect on xp.

It sounds like you may have a driver or compatibility problem with the N7 on XP. My best suggestion would be to upgrade to Windows 7. If that's not a possibility, then I suggest a workaround. Make sure your eBook files are DRM-free (Caliber and some plug-ins can help you with that), then upload them to Dropbox or Google Drive. Load the respective app (Dropbox or Google Drive) onto your N7 and download them to the appropriate folder on your N7. Happy reading.

Posted via Android Central App on Nexus 7

XP is hard to make transferring files to N7. I tried and dropped it, use now ES file manager - easy to transfer files through Wi-Fi (hope you have it at home).
    You can use Windows 7 to transfer files through USB though - usually works fine.

I'm having a difficult time trying to download my .epub books from my computer (windows 7) to my Nexus 7. I use the following instructions: 1. . 2 Click on [I]Upload files. [I] 3. Click on select files on computer, or drag and drop. 4 Choose [I]Epub or PDF [I]file upload. 5..You will now see your book in the [I]Upload section.[I] 6. Open Play Books app and press the [I]Options Button, [I]and hit [I]Refresh.[I][

Problem being, it doesn't recognize many of my Epub editions, despite they are legitimate purchases from Barnes and Noble, or other reputable sources. Quite frankly I'm disappointed why this occurs. Yet I have no problems downloading my books from my PC to my First generation Nook. Go figure. Hopefully someone may have a solution. I really like reading books on my Nexus 7. Thanks for listening.