1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android 4.3 - Restrict Background Data?

Hi guys,

So, I just turned on my Nexus 7 this morning, received a 4.3 update, rebooted and noticed 'Restrict background data' is nowhere to be found.

I used to find it by clicking Settings > Data usage > Menu (3 vertical dot thingy, top right of screen)

Now the only things I see there are: Auto-sync data, Mobile Hotspots & Help.

Did my update not go as planned, or is that feature not necessary anymore and gone?

thanks,
    Jason
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Android 4.3 - Restrict Background Data?

Bump

I'm not too sure but maybe it was renamed to "Auto-sync data."

Auto-sync data, Mobile Hotspots & Help are what I have on mine with Auto-sync data ticked.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ok thanks, just wanted to check if ours were the same.

Also, I put the Nexus 7 down for ~ 15 hours (Airplane mode) and it only lost 2% battery, so I think that's pretty darn good.

You might try touching 'Help' on that menu with auto-sync data. It discusses a way to 'Restrict background data' on an app by app basis. On my phone with 4.2.2, I still have the restrict background data as an option, but it appears to be global. On 4.3 there seems to be a way to use it per app, but I couldn't make complete sense of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Groid View Post
    You might try touching 'Help' on that menu with auto-sync data. It discusses a way to 'Restrict background data' on an app by app basis. On my phone with 4.2.2, I still have the restrict background data as an option, but it appears to be global. On 4.3 there seems to be a way to use it per app, but I couldn't make complete sense of it.
    You can restrict background data for every app individually. Go to Data Usage, scroll down screen and there is a list of apps. You can open anyone and it will be a check box to restrict BGD. This in on my N4. My N7 is not connected to cellular data and so doesn't have all these menu options. Looks like they will appear when connected to a cellular network.