Shirking responsibility and lobbing the warranty responsibility to ASUS

Sunil Verma3

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
When google launched Nexus 7, I was really excited and wanted to get my hands on one ASAP. When one of my friends was visiting US i asked her a favour and she got one for me. I find out that the rear camera is not working.

So i approached the UK customer service - i was fobbed off. No service here in UK since i had bought it in US. Now since they have already launched in UK why is it that Google cannot support in UK. If a firm sells internationally it should provide services internationally and it cannot hide behind the the legal structure of the firm.

Should a customer sit silently and accept what is dished out?

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
In Australia both the retailer and manufacturer (imported if manufacturer doesn't have an office in the country) are liable under our Australian Consumer protection Law, I suggest you look up your own but it would have to be under US law as that's where the 'contract/exchange' took place.

I think if you contact ASUS they might be more of a help.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Well this is the wrong forum since the original n7 has no rear camera but since you asked...

I think you pretty much are getting what you should have expected purchasing it in the way you did. No other company is going to behave differently in this regard...

donhon

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I have nothing but praise for the support I received from the Australian Asus Service over the past week.
I bought a "manufacturer refurbished" Google Nexus 7 sold with a "manufacturer 12 months warranty" via eBay. It was delivered on the 5th of September. I am used to Windows computers but unfamiliar with tablets, this was my first. After an initial play with the Nexus I was notified that an update to Android 4.3 had been downloaded and ready to install. I accepted the installation and put the Nexus aside to do its thing. Later I noticed that it had begun to re-boot, but after much waiting it got no farther than that. Trying to reset it the the factory default did nothing so I contacted Asus by 'phone on Monday morning 9th September. The Asus rep made arrangements for a courier to pickup my Nexus on Tuesday 10th. It went off mid morning and I expected to hear nothing for at least a couple of weeks.
This morning, 13th September, I received a sealed replacement Nexus 7 which works fine, although, for obvious reasons, I'm reluctant to try updating it at the moment.
Asus support worked for me!

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I believe he means in a foreign country. Purchasing it oversea's makes it difficult, unless you can negotiate with the retailer or store to accept yours repair, than mail it back out of the states.

cowboys2000

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Well,

In another thread I have chronicled my experience with ASUS US Support. After reporting my problem on 8/14/13, and receiving a RMA and sending in (received on 8/26/13) Asus finally acknowledged receipt on 9/9/13. Three weeks of zero updates. Today, I log on and I see they are in the process of sending me a replacement tablet (shows a new serial number).

Not once has ASUS actually contacted me via email or phone with a true status update. Well, on 9/9/13 they left a message saying the product was received (well USPS tracking showed this on 9/26/13). I'm not expecting to see the replacement tablet for weeks.

Online research suggests that had I bough directlty from Google Play, the replacement would have been within days. IF I buy another Nexus tablet made by ASUS, it will be from the Google Play Store.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
When google launched Nexus 7, I was really excited and wanted to get my hands on one ASAP. When one of my friends was visiting US i asked her a favour and she got one for me. I find out that the rear camera is not working.

So i approached the UK customer service - i was fobbed off. No service here in UK since i had bought it in US. Now since they have already launched in UK why is it that Google cannot support in UK. If a firm sells internationally it should provide services internationally and it cannot hide behind the the legal structure of the firm.

Should a customer sit silently and accept what is dished out?
I guess it depends what they're dishing out. In this case, it wasn't purchased from the UK store. I don't know if they have any legal obligation to handle warranty issues for something they didn't sell you. The manufacturer is willing to provide warranty support, so you're not left stranded. You just have to go to the manufacturer for warranty work.

The only thing you're not getting is the convenience of the Play Store shipping you a replacement, instead of waiting for warranty repairs, and I'm not sure a retailer has any legal or ethical obligation to make your life easier if you bought the device somewhere else, even if that other place is some related (but different) company.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2