If I run battery to empty Nexus 7 won't start up (after charge) unless I connect to computer

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
HELP! I have unfortunately let my Nexus 7 die a few times due to neglect. It is fully charged and yet I can't seem to get it to turn on completely, it seems to get stuck on the screen after the Google screen...I'm extremely frustrated. I've tried EVERYTHING that I've read to try and yet no results. Super bummed. Any new tips I could try?!

Thanks!

Welcome to Android Central! It'd be helpful to specify some of the things you've tried, because if you just say "everything," many people probably won't bother answering, since they'll assume you've truly tried every single solution.

The first thing that I would suggest is to boot into recovery and try wiping the system cache partition: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...e-nexus-7-2012-2013-cache-partition-wipe.html

David Brown14

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
You are not alone! Mine behaves the same way when left too long in my backpack. Thanks for teh tip about connecting to a computer - I hadn't tried that.

April Southerland

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
It works, I have the same problem. If I let my Nexus 7 get kinda low before I plug it up over night, when I try to turn in on the next morning it acts all caddy whompus. I just held the power button longer the normal and it came on. I was actually considering trying to get mine exchanged or something, thinking it was a bad tablet. It works if you just hold the button a little longer. I held it long enough to look up at the TV and back down at it and it came on, I looked up slowly so don't give yourself whiplash or anything lol.
Kinda wishing at times that I had went with a Hannspree tablet I found on Amazon.

Dot Neveragain

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand. The guy at Best Buy TOLD me to run the battery all the way down in the first use, and these are standard instructions; for a hand vacuum I just bought with a Li-on battery that's what the printed manual said. I'm like ten minutes away from zero on my Nexus and haven't a clue as to what to do.

Update: I called Best Buy back and their Geek Squad told me to run it all the way down, yes, until it turned itself off, and then re-charge. I did. It came back on just fine and boots and loads everything it had on it.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
With modern lithium batteries, running it all the way down and then fully charging is not necessary. This may have helped with older batteries, but running a modern battery all the way down risks fully discharging it, which is irreversible. It's unlikely to happen, since there are safeguards, but if someone ran their battery down and then forgot to recharge for days, then the battery might completely die. To be honest, I wouldn't rely too heavily on Best Buy staff for tech advice.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Kevin Luberger

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I've tried ALLL of these options and the thing will not turn on. A battery pic came on for a second then went away. An empty battery pic. I had it plugged in all night. It's now plugged to my computer with no results. These things are garbage.

iamgprime

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I've tried ALLL of these options and the thing will not turn on. A battery pic came on for a second then went away. An empty battery pic. I had it plugged in all night. It's now plugged to my computer with no results. These things are garbage.

I had the same problem. These instructions worked for me:
1. Using the original power adapter and USB cable, plug your Nexus device into a functioning power outlet.
2. Press & hold the Volume down button. While holding Volume down, press & hold the Power button for at least 10 seconds until you see an Android robot and the word Start on the screen.
3. Press the Volume down button until Power off is highlighted. Press the Power button to select that option.
Once your device turns off, disconnect the charger, then reconnect it. A battery icon should appear on your screen.
4. Charge your Nexus device for at least 1 hour before turning it back on.

ElvoRoveli

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Wow. This got it back up. Wish I had found this 8 weeks ago. I had sent it off as a RMA and got it back in the same condition. Glad someone out there figured it out and shared. Did see a glimpse of some strange droid. Anyways, THANK YOU.:D

Glenn Welt

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much! Hadn't used my N7 in months. Refused to turn on. I plugged in charger for about 20 minutes. Still no life. I thought it was ready for the Tablet Grave Yard until I found your post. Pressed POWER and VOL Up at same time and like magic, it came to life in about 5 seconds. Now at 9% battery, updating apps and charging!

MaxxMoss

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I've had this happen to me on multiple occasions. Just keep trying multiple cables and plugging it in variations. Of about 15 minutes. Try holding the power button and repeat. It will eventually come on.

Posted via the Android Central App

thevinci88

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
If I have tried everything above and the Nexus 7 is broken, is it the battery? I am using the original cables and have tried with other cables, the charge indicator will not turn on. I have held down the button, wiped the partition, reset to factory, wipe the cache. Should I replace the battery now?

Alfie1995

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I have been trying to charge my Nexus 7 for the last few days and read both previous comments. I combined the two - connected to my computer and pressed the on button for longer. Bingo - it worked. Thanks.