Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By srkmagnus
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Stolen Android Tablets

Forum,

I had two of my tablets stolen in a burglary. I can still "see" both of my devices in Android Device Manager. As of yet they have not turned on location for me to get a location report on them.....I just check every once in a while to see any activity on them. There has been no activity on the TF700 since 3 days after it was stolen, and I am pretty sure it was reset. There is still activity being reported on the Nexus 7 tablet as of yesterday.

I pushed Androidlost to the tablet, but since it is not a phone I can't SMS it to turn it on.

If there is someone out there that could help me get my tablets back, I would appreciate it. Also I have enabled Android Device Manager on all my other/replacement devices. Is there a good location software that you would recommend, so that if this happens again, I am more prepared to find my lost/stolen devices.

Thank you Forum!!!!!

Global Posts
    22,180 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Stolen Android Tablets

Quote Originally Posted by henrystrawn View Post
    Forum,

I had two of my tablets stolen in a burglary. I can still "see" both of my devices in Android Device Manager. As of yet they have not turned on location for me to get a location report on them.....I just check every once in a while to see any activity on them. There has been no activity on the TF700 since 3 days after it was stolen, and I am pretty sure it was reset. There is still activity being reported on the Nexus 7 tablet as of yesterday.

I pushed Androidlost to the tablet, but since it is not a phone I can't SMS it to turn it on.

If there is someone out there that could help me get my tablets back, I would appreciate it. Also I have enabled Android Device Manager on all my other/replacement devices. Is there a good location software that you would recommend, so that if this happens again, I am more prepared to find my lost/stolen devices.

Thank you Forum!!!!!
    Welcome to the forums!
    Downside to stuff like this happening, and I am sorry it happened to you, but there is little that can be done after the fact, even more so, when a reset comes into play.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Golfdriver97,

Thanks for the reply. I have installed the free version of Avast anti-theft on both the phone and my new Nexus 7. I was hoping with Android Device Manager, and Avast anti-theft, I might have a better chance of recovering them in the future.

I did do some research on Location apps, Avast had positive reviews, and you can't beat the price. I am not apposed to paying for an apps if you know one that may offer better protection.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations for a better solution.

Once again, thanks!

P.S.

I have only owned Motorola phones since the E815. I just recently got a Galaxy S4, lovin' it. I can't believe that Motorola has moved away from a micro SD card. I don't want to be forced into cloud storage.

Global Posts
    8,927 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Hopefully you are able to retrieve the devices(s). Keep in mind that if a location is detected, don't not attempt to recover on your own. Contact the local authorities for proper handling. Hopefully the devices were reported stolen at the time of the burglary.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    22,180 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by henrystrawn View Post
    Golfdriver97,

Thanks for the reply. I have installed the free version of Avast anti-theft on both the phone and my new Nexus 7. I was hoping with Android Device Manager, and Avast anti-theft, I might have a better chance of recovering them in the future.

I did do some research on Location apps, Avast had positive reviews, and you can't beat the price. I am not apposed to paying for an apps if you know one that may offer better protection.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations for a better solution.

Once again, thanks!

P.S.

I have only owned Motorola phones since the E815. I just recently got a Galaxy S4, lovin' it. I can't believe that Motorola has moved away from a micro SD card. I don't want to be forced into cloud storage.
    I don't know about better protection, but I use AVG, and they offer that service for free. Haven't had to use it yet. I currently have my devices set up with Android device manager to erase devices once stolen/lost, but again, this is bypassed when a reset is done.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:

Root plus install cerberus as a system app = device tracking which will survive a reset.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

mr_nobody,

Thank you for the heads up about Cerberus......but I have vowed not to root this phone. I recently took a trip while on vacation, and I found out how reliant I am on turn by turn navigation. I got lost several times, and wasted close to two hours back tracking between destination and returning home. I had a Razr Maxx running CM10.2, and even flipping back to the stock side of safestrap, I could not get my GPS working while on the road. I just need a phone that works. Things didn't end well, I had to go buy a new phone at full retail. I know that rooting the phone won't change the stock recovery or ROM, but I don't want to head down that path again just yet.....even if the light dialer is driving me nuts right now.

Thanks again for the suggestion.