Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default N7 2012 Camera geotags are converted from lat/long to street addresses

I use Camera Starter on my Nexus 7 2012 to take photos of landscapes and trails while mountain biking. Yes, with a little practice in aiming it works just fine. No, I don't need any lectures about how it is unfashionable to take photos with a tablet. Thank you very much It is a really handy function and the photos while not equal to my various other cameras are quite useful.

You turn on geotagging by uncrossing the pushpin in the Camera Starter controls

The problem is, the lat/long geotags (you can see them in Gallery > Details) are instantly converted to street addresses whenever I connect to a network. It is possible that Google+ or Maps is doing this "favor" for me. The problem is there are no streets out where I take the photos so the addresses are totally useless.

Does anyone know how to disable this? It is an obscure area of Android and Nexus, with little documentation.

I am sort of working around by using the Geotag::Mark app, but this adds another step

Thank you!
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: N7 2012 Camera geotags are converted from lat/long to street addresses

After creating more samples, it does appear the lat/longs are getting preserved. The Geotag::Mark app adds lat/longs also, but in the process it overwrites other important EXIF data like the time stamp!