Nexus 7 - Random Webpages Popping Up

ZekeCog

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
While I was reading an article on reputable local newspaper website on Nexus 7 (the original one, not the new one), an adult webpage from another site just popped up on the screen. That never happened before and don't know why. Didn't click on click any links and hadn't ever been to that site before. Neither that site nor anything like it were ever searched for or viewed on the Nexus 7. It happened a few times, all within 1 minute (all shown in "history"). Anyone else ever have that happen? possible cause? Fix?

Also, do you suggest anti-virus software for tablets? No one I know uses it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You could try installing an ad network detector like Lookout Ad Network Detector, although that might only be useful for ads that pop up in your notifications.

Security/antivirus apps are still a subject of controversy within the Android community. One side argues that antivirus is unnecessary, since true malware has to be given permission by the user to install, and won't cause problems otherwise. The other side points out that many people (especially Android beginners) may easily accept the installation of a malware app, not understanding that it isn't safe. Besides, it wouldn't be surprising if the acceleration of Android malware development led to harmful apps or processes that can install themselves, or cause havoc in other ways. I'm of the opinion that it is wise to use a security app from a reputable company, because they're the ones on the forefront of malware research, and if/when the next big threat comes, they will hopefully be ready. In addition, most security apps include other beneficial features like the ability to find your phone if you lose it, or the ability to wipe your phone remotely.

I like Lookout (which was profiled recently in the New York Times), but other good names include Avast, AVG, and TrustGo (among others).

ZekeCog

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I will look into Lookout. I appreciate the insight!

Any thoughts on how the heck pages can just open? I never experienced that before, and it was while I was on a reputable website. I surely don't want that happening when my kid is playing on the tablet. And of course I am now a bit worried someone hack and has access to my info on the tablet. I wish I could determine what happened. It was creepy.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you installed all of your apps from reputable sources like Google Play or Amazon Appstore? Installing apps from less-than-reliable 3rd party app stores can put you at risk for apps that come with some kind of hidden adware or outright malware. Google Play isn't immune to this either--there are certainly apps from Google Play that are burdened with this kind of junk. It's always a good idea to scan the app reviews before installing--a lot of times, other users will warn of unwanted ads or worse.

You could always uninstall apps one-by-one, starting with your most recently installed apps, and see when the problem stops. Tedious, yes, but sometimes that's all you can do.

ZekeCog

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Will do. I've always been told that apple ios is safer than android, but I never had any issues and really android. Will take your advice. Thank you. Very helpful forum

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams