Nexus 7 Tablet (2012) Trying to avoid THIRD RMA, same problem keeps recurring

Gabej1991

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks ahead of time to any who try to help; this is extremely frustrating.

I have the 32 gb nexus 7 2012 tablet (completely stock, I have never rooted it) which I purchased in January of this year. The first time the issue occurred was literally two weeks after I got it. I pressed the power button to turn it on and it got stuck on the X screen. I read online how to do go into recovery mode and do a factory reset. I followed the instructions, but when it finished with the factory reset and I selected reboot it still got stuck on the X screen. I was busy and didn't have time to deal with it for awhile, so it sat broken on my desk for a couple of months until I was able to call Asus and send it in for repair. When I got it back the piece of paper that came with it said there was some sort of firmware issue that was fixed. After I got it back I had it for one month before the exact same thing happened again. That was extremely frustrating and again I didn't have time to deal with the problem immediately as I was finishing up my senior year of college. Fast forward to about a month ago when I got it fixed again. This time it says there was some part that had to be replace. I've now had it back approximately a month again. Last week I left it plugged in to the charger and when I came home there it is on my desk with that stupid X staring at me. Again the recovery did not work. I'm so frustrated because I don't understand how this same issue keeps happening. Did I just get a lemon or is there something that I'm doing that's causing this or am I just failing when I'm trying to do the recovery.

Please help if you can. You have no idea how much I'd appreciate not having to send my tablet in again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you reloading the same apps onto each device? Are any of them funny 3rd party apps. i.e Not from the playstore.

Welcome to Android Central, both of you! This question from Jeff is very important. Has the issue occurred before even installing anything?

If you're able to, rebooting into Safe Mode could help troubleshoot whether or not a 3rd party app that you installed is causing problems. The trick is to get into Safe Mode, which might not be possible if you're just stuck at the X: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en

Gabej1991

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I haven't installed any apps not from the play store, and yes you are correct I am unable to get into safe mode. I have used many of the same apps each time, but the tablet wasn't even in use when the problem occurred. It's possible that it was plugged in all three times, but at this point I don't remember. This last time it was definitely charging.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I had almost the same exact problem except it wasn't the X screen. The back light was on but there was nothing on the screen. Turns out, as odd as it seems, the battery connection was loose. Since I had the tools, I removed the back and sure enough the battery connection was loose. I used some foam tape to hold it in place and placed the back cover on. Haven't had the issue since.

posted from my Galaxy Note II

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463