College Class Project Using My Nexus 7 (2012)

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Hello All,

For my Entrepreneurial 320 class we had to think up a new idea, create a prototype, and get feedback. I thought I'd share it here, and see what everyone thought. It'd be cool to get 100 likes before I take the project back to my class on Wednesday. Please also give me feedback, and be totally honest. My professor wants us to get real feedback from real people, so don't pull any punches. :) Thanks!

BTW- Thanks Android Central and Talk Mobile for Helping Me During this Creation
Lights, oven, locks: Controlling your home from your phone - Talk Mobile | Android Central

Mount Video Intro - YouTube

According to an article in Forbes, the Home Automation industry is projected to grow to $14.1 billion in worldwide revenues by 2018. The lure of home automation is strong as American?s have grown up with TV shows such as Star Trek and The Jetsons and movies such as Minority Report and IRobot. But for many Americans such a fantasy world is out of reach because of cost. Many are also worried that if they cough up the cash the technology will age too quickly in our fast paced world. We seek to fix these two problems, while creating a better user experience, and bring home automation to the rest of America.

So, what is the real problem? The problem is that traditional home automation systems are proprietary, expensive, mostly permanent, and very limited in what they do. In a not-so-scientific poll that I took, this was the response that I received:

Question 1.pngQuestion 2.png

The reason why they are so expensive is that they aren?t mass produced. Without the law of large numbers the companies have to pay and charge more for their products. They also have proprietary software that most software developers won?t write programs for, making their function very limited, and upgrades very scarce.

On the other hand, big companies such as Apple, Samsung, Google, and Microsoft are mass producing tablets on a regular and competitive basis. This drives the price down to just a couple hundred dollars for a tablet. These tablets are more capable, have better upgradeability, and attract masses of software developers. My invention takes the power and cost effectiveness of tablets, and replaces the expensive, static home automation displays.

I am the first to admit, this is not a new idea. Many people use their tablets to run their home automation. There has also been a couple companies that have mounted tablets into walls, effectively replacing home automation displays. My idea builds upon their ideas, and makes it even better.

If you have participated in the construction of a home, home remodeling, or just tinkering, you are familiar with how electrical switches and outlets are installed. An electrical box is installed, whether before or after the sheetrock is in place. Then the outlet, switch, or whatever is screwed into the box. Last, a cover is put over the switch to make it look nice and neat. I?m taking this same concept, but making it bigger for tablet computers. I start with an electrical box. Insert a tablet specific insert. Place the tablet inside the insert. And then place a cover over the whole thing, leaving a nice neat display inside the wall.

how-to-replace-an-electrical-receptacle-1-300x279.jpg
Assembly1 Blown Up.jpg
Assembly1 Blown Up Front 2.jpg
Wall Mount Assembly - YouTube

Some of you are probably asking, ?Why would I want a tablet in the wall?? Here is how you could use a tablet in your wall:
? Use in the Kitchen
o Display recipes safe off the counter away from ingredients
o Use as a timer
o Scan food items to add to shopping list
o Watch YouTube videos on how to cook dishes, or watch your favorite show or listen to your favorite music while you?re cooking
? Use in the Living Room
o Play your favorite movies or games off your tablet
o See who is at your front door with an installed camera on your porch
? Use in the Garage
o Watch YouTube videos on how to fix your cars
o Download manuals for lawnmowers, cars, and anything else you do in your garage
? Everywhere
o Get your reminders and notifications all over your house
o Skype with friends and family
o Set alarms to wake you up or remind you to do something
o See your calendar easily
o Check traffic before you leave for work
o Control other parts of house like lights, locks, and thermostat
o Digital Photo Frame
o Listen to music

Not to mention you can have apps that are always listening for voice commands or waiting for movement to activate, both of which take plenty of power and would drain the battery if unplugged. In my not-so-scientific poll I asked these questions:

Question 3.png
Question 4.png
Question 5.png

Here is an easy way to compare what is out on the market:

PDF File.png
View attachment Wall Mount Comparison Chart.pdf

Final Thoughts:
I know that this is not the perfect solution. Many people will come after me, and improve upon it. Good! That is exactly what I want to happen! I?m leaving it open to hackers, DIYers, and all Tech nuts to improve and make better. Anyone with access to a 3D printer, plastic shop, or moldable plastic can make any insert that they want. Make it better and easier to use. I also know I can?t support all the different tablets on the market. I?m creating a base and a standard. You take it and run!

More Info:
How the wall mount is built
First it starts with the electrical box.
New Construction Post Construction
How it's built 1.png

A standard wall outlet will be installed in the electrical box to provide power to your tablet. There is also several places to install keystone jacks. The keystone jacks make it so you can plug your tablet into HDMI, USB, RCA, and other keystone jacks. The electrical box is big enough to accommodate tablets up to 10.5 inch screens.

The Insert

Insert 2.jpg

The insert is made specific for the tablet. You can have an insert made for the iPad, Nexus 7, Windows Surface, or any other device. The size is made standard so any tablet could have an insert. Anyone with a 3D printer can make their own, if they wanted to.

The Cover

Cover.jpg

The cover works like any standard wall outlet cover, it covers up everything inside so all you see is the neat cover and the tablet screen.

Assembly1 Front b.jpg
Assembly1b.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Very nice! My suggestion would be to make the wallmount boxes relatively easily accessible, so that if the consumer wanted to use the tablet for more portable functions, he or she could remove it and remount it easily. This would also be helpful if the consumer wanted to upgrade the device to the next generation. The wallmount could have a simple lock mechanism. (Apologies if you mentioned this already--I couldn't see all images on the Android Central app.)

Posted via Android Central App

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Very nice! My suggestion would be to make the wallmount boxes relatively easily accessible, so that if the consumer wanted to use the tablet for more portable functions, he or she could remove it and remount it easily. This would also be helpful if the consumer wanted to upgrade the device to the next generation. The wallmount could have a simple lock mechanism. (Apologies if you mentioned this already--I couldn't see all images on the Android Central app.)

Posted via Android Central App

Thank you. That seems to be a common suggestion, as something I'll work on making better. Thanks for liking and commenting. Share this with your friends, if you can! Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt