Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will this play all the games for kids?

I've been looking at getting my 2 sons a nexus 7(2013)for Xmas, as they are always on mine.
    But have seen some good deals the 2012 version.
    Screen resolution isn't a problem, it's just they like playing games games like asphalt 7,8, jet ski game, angry birds etc.

They all work flawlessly on my fhd 2013 version, but will games work OK as I don't want to skimp and save money to find that some games are now incompatible for some reason (as this is what happened recently on my old iPhone, some games don't go on, also with my nephews Samsung tab.. Some apps won't install)
    Thanks, Rik

Default Re: Will this play all the games for kids?

I have the first gen nexus 2012, and outside of the occasional fruit ninja I don't play much games. However, the device lags here and there as apps update over time - its not unusual for me to have to wait a second or two for lag.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Right, thanks for that.
    Can't decide if the newer one is worth £70 more each just to play games. I've already tried to sell them on the idea of a Nintendo ds but they both want a tab like mine.

So £260 for 2 16gb nexus 1st gets, or £400 for 2 16gb nexus 2nd gets.

Would just be annoyed if like you said they tried playing fruit ninja and it lagged and stuttered just because I tried saving some money this Christmas.

So does this mean that in a year or 2 my new nexus will start stuttering with newer apps then?

I think the 2012 N7 is totally fine for games, including more graphics-intense games like Asphalt 7. I haven't noticed any significant problems with performance.

Keep in mind, the original Nexus 7 (2012) has the Nvidia Tegra 3 processor, which opens up the availability of Tegra-zone games: more graphically intensive, console-style games available exclusively on Tegra enabled devices. The games are a bit more expensive (sometimes a lot more, anywhere from $1-$10), but they are often more like something you might find on xbox live arcade (or playstation network or steam) than your standard android fare like Angry Birds or Bejewled. The official Tegra Zone website: TegraZone - Download The Best Android Games For Your Tegra Device

Pair with bluetooth controller and enjoy!

P.S. Actually just happened to install Bejewled Blitz on my Nexus 7 2012, smooth as butter, no lag at all. This is, however, after a fresh factory wipe yesterday in preparation for KitKat.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks for the replies.
    Think I will get the 2012 nexi, saving of £120-140 is too tempting.
    I wasn't aware of tegra etc., glad to hear asphalt 7 works OK, at the moment they mainly play toca games, and racing games.