Has anyone gotten the OTA kitkat update?

propeller10

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
So it's been 5 days. Has any one received the Kitkat OTA update on the 2012 Nexus 7?

It feels like majority of us haven't received it.

propeller10

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Not on my n7 2012. I tried sideloading and almost died trying. Didn't turn into a brick though!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Yeah I am not a huge fan of side loading even though it is not that complicated. I always play it safe and install the OTA update. I just don't understand what is taking so long. This is unusual for Google.

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
It seems a pity that, aside from the more complicated sideload, Google doesn't supply the OS upgrade via it's own online Google Play Store, say, along the lines of (dare I say it) Apple's iTunes or Mac App Store. Plug your Nexus into your computer, choose the OS Upgrade and let it all download and install via the Store. Google's servers permitting, this would seem to be a way they could get the OS quickly, securely and relatively brick-free, especially if users have sometimes dodgy OTA connectivity.

hichris123

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
It seems a pity that, aside from the more complicated sideload, Google doesn't supply the OS upgrade via it's own online Google Play Store, say, along the lines of (dare I say it) Apple's iTunes or Mac App Store. Plug your Nexus into your computer, choose the OS Upgrade and let it all download and install via the Store. Google's servers permitting, this would seem to be a way they could get the OS quickly, securely and relatively brick-free, especially if users have sometimes dodgy OTA connectivity.

It seems like if you are technically savvy enough to want the update that quickly, you could at least download 2 things and run a command line code.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
It seems like if you are technically savvy enough to want the update that quickly, you could at least download 2 things and run a command line code.

You'd think so - but you would be wrong. :p

The device is not even my secondary bit of daily tech kit, so if the sideload can't be handled in a way that doesn't thrill a geek (and here I'll point out I've already smaller sideloaded .apk files directly onto my 7 via direct downloads and installs on the device), then I suppose I shall wait until Google gets it's act together. Lost opportunity Google to make the Android Experience a little less nerdy - and duly noted.
Que sera, sera.

JGouse0498

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
How do you know if you have a 2012 or 2013?

Thanks!

It's another way of saying 1st generation Nexus 7 (2012 release year) and 2nd generation (2013). There are many differences, but here's the easy way.

Look at the back while holding the tablet in portrait orientation (like you'd hold a book).

2012/1st gen: NEXUS is written horizontally

2013/2nd gen: NEXUS is written vertically

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

T-Rob

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
It's another way of saying 1st generation Nexus 7 (2012 release year) and 2nd generation (2013). There are many differences, but here's the easy way.

Look at the back while holding the tablet in portrait orientation (like you'd hold a book).

I figured it was something that easy...LOL. Thank you!

rangler123

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site

ummm actually its easier than that look at the back if you see a camera lens its the new one...lol

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I'll throw in my "I haven't gotten the 4.4 update yet" pretty dissapointing for sure :-(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

mkreef

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I keep checking, but nada.

With the VZW Moto X KitKat soak test starting this week (supposedly), I'm curious if the Moto X will get kitkat before the rolling (slowly) OTA to my Nexus 7!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance