Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Jerry Hildenbrand
  • 3 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Stop clearing Google Services Framework apk for Update

Android Engineer Explains Why Mashing Check for Updates on Nexus Devices Isnt Helping You

As for clearing the Google Service Framework data, Morrill cries foul. He explains that when doing this, Googles servers essentially recognize this as a factory reset, which in turn, will leave many of your apps (including Google Play) unusable.

There are many downstream effects of this, but a big one is that this invalidates the tokens used by any app that uses GCM (which is nearly all the Google apps, and a ton of third-party apps.)

How apps react to GCM IDs changing varies by app. With Play Store you have to log out and log back in, I think Gmail usually handles it transparently eventually but wont get new mail notifications for a while, etc. Some apps you may have to clear data on to recover. All apps will simply stop getting GCM push-messages, until they get a new GCM ID.

Default Re: Stop clearing Google Services Framework apk for Update

Interesting aside here.

Dan is the same fellow who told everyone why Google stopped using SD cards. He said that they are insecure, slow, prone to failure and a single partition for apps and data was a better experience. People said he was full of it then, and that Google only wanted to force people to the cloud to "make more money." Now everyone wants to repeat his word as gospel.

Fickle users are fickle.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by:
    ChromeJob likes this.

I guess the question now is: "how do i fix it?" i tried clearing the framework, which obviously didn't work and since I haven't gotten a single update to hangouts. I know he says it'll happen automatically, but how long is too long before I have to factory reset?

After talking with technical support at Verizon, I've come to the conclusion that it's not possible to disable the updating without altering the OS. If you find a way that doesn't affect the OS or other Google-related software, please post.

Google Services Framework is what the Google spy machine uses to track you. THAT is the real reason they don't want you clearing it.

If you're that concerned about Google spying on you, then perhaps you should look into some other platform?
    kd0h, GedBlake and ChromeJob like this.