Repaired my Nexus 7 screen (LCD & Digitizer), Now no sound apart from notifications. Please help.

Ghost 2501 84

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Repaired my Nexus 7 screen (LCD & Digitizer), Now no sound apart from notifications. Please help.

Hello all,
I've signed up to AC because of this problem.
I've just finished repairing my Google Nexus 7 (2012), the screen had cracked and needed replacing. I've replaced the LCD and Digitizer with a new one, and the tablet works fine, apart from one thing:
There's no sound being played from the speaker (from apps), but notifications and alarms play just fine.
Google music, youtube, and other apps that output sound work just fine, but there's no sound.
I'd rather not factory reset but will if i have to.
If i do have to, is it going to be worth rooting, using titanbackup and then restoring apps from that?
It'd be grand if there was some way to manually reset the sound "driver" (I realise that's probably an incorrect term on android), maybe using the ADB?
Anyway i need help with this one as if there's a way to sort this out using ADB and not having to factory reset, i'd love to hear it.

Additional info:
It's starting to look like the tablet believes it always has headphones in, when you first boot up and unlock it it makes the unlock sound from the speaker,
Then only notification sounds.
When headphones are plugged in sound plays from apps through the headphones, when they're unplugged, it doesn't switch to the speaker.

Cheers all!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghost 2501 84

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Repaired my nexus 7 screen (LCD & Digitizer), Now no sound apart from notifications. Please help

Looks like this is going to be a hardware problem then, i'll replace the headphone jack and report back.

But if anyone knows of an app i can use to manually control if sounds are played from speakers or headphones, I'd be very grateful to know it.

Last edited:

Scott Sarria

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Repaired my nexus 7 screen (LCD & Digitizer), Now no sound apart from notifications. Please help

I just recently replaced the screen on my Nexus 7 as well and am having the same issue. What were you able to find out? Were you able to fix this? <<email removed per rules>>

Last edited by a moderator:

Matthew Watkins

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Hi,

I am also having this problem with N7.

Notification sounds through speaker, no app or game audio unless headphones plugged in.

I have factry reset and replaced speaker module, no change. Anybody fix this issue?

i8ntkevin

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Repaired my Nexus 7 screen (LCD & Digitizer), Now no sound apart from notifications. Please help

I'm in the same boat. Replaced screen and digitizer and sound stopped working.

I was going to replace the speakers, but decided to pop the cover off and give the speaker cable a jiggle to see if I could get something out of it. Ultimately found out that the speakers still worked when the cover was off, but as soon as the cover was replaced, the sound cut out. I've got a hunch that it has to do w/ the pogo pins, but that's currently the lead I'm looking at.

Thoughts? Advice? Questions?

Last edited:

i8ntkevin

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Repaired my Nexus 7 screen (LCD & Digitizer), Now no sound apart from notifications. Please help

I think I got it figured out. Turns out when I replaced both the screen and bezel, I forgot to take the pogo pins off the old bezel. Once I attached the pogo pins to the new bezel everything now works perfectly. What a relief.

roman4o

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site

Could you please explain in details or send me a picture of what exactly you have done with these pogo pins ?
I've lost the sound too after screen change. Thank you in advance !

agus_mt

May 13, 2014
Visit site

Hello I am in the same conditions... What are you done with the pogo pins my friend?? Can tell us, we need your help

Thankyou

adams tong

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

I think I may have found the solution. It may or may not fixed your but definitely worth giving it a try. It works on mine. Let me know if this helps you too. and pardon my english.
I was having the similar issues like you guys are having - no sound from speaker (except alarm) after screen replacement. Audio from headphone jack is ok.
See this metal shield/cover below?
IMG_3423.jpg
Now look at the main board section below where this metal cover is supposed to go.
IMG_3422.jpg
You see those eight shiny components that I've marked with the red circles. I didn't pay any attention to the placement of the cover when I was first putting it back together. I just lay the cover in that area and secure it position with the tape. However, given a little bit more thought, I think the metal cover is not supposed to have direct contact to the main board, especially when there is something that looks like exposed ground traces in the proximity. I took a better look at those eight shiny components and it turns out they are stands (with a slit in the middle) which I guess is suppose to hold the metal cover in place but lifted above the main board. I make that change and (voila!) now everything is back to normal. That nice unlock click from the speak have never sounded so nice.

Christexaport and JJ14x - you two are very annoying but I do hope you fix yours too (assuming Christexaport haven't sold his yet).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Trolling is bad. Thread has been cleaned.

Mariano1st

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

Excelent! It solved the audio problem. Thanks adams tong! :cool:

Mariano1st

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

I just recently replaced the screen on my Nexus 7 as well and am having the same issue. What were you able to find out? Were you able to fix this? <<email removed per rules>>

See Adams tong solution in this forum.

Rgds!

ThBnewh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site

Hi folks - new here bumping this thread. I replaced my USB Charge port 2x and this last time I lost sound to my speakers - headset Jack is ok.

I saw the fix posted above by Adams tong and it seems to work for people but I am not sure what "tthat change" refers to in his message - what change exactly did you guys do to that metal plate? I've tried to reposition it, tape it, etc but no go. Driving me crazy lol!!

Any clarification to his post would be great. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

ThBnewh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site

Gobble gobble - any help on my requery above?

sheebee

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site

I had to join here just to thank you Adam, this has completely solved my sound problem too. Again this happened after replacing the cracked screen. The sound would only play using earphones. Non of the you tube videos mention about replacing the cover carefully. You've made my day now i've got it fixed for my grandson

ricardo brito

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

i found the problem i sent for a chinese io jack and usb and the latch was faulty if had a bit more pressure would not work i took one screw from the middle
and voila music to my hears

Parikshit Sharma1

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site

thanks for your post. the problem really got resolved. although the sound quality has gone bad a bit. but the solution worked.:)