1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Total storage space cut in half after tinkering disaster

My 2012 Nexus 7 (16GB, Wi-fi) was acting sluggish after a routine upgrade to 4.23 so I attempted to use a factory image to restore it. It didn't have enough battery charge when I first attempted it so it hung on the OS load. Things got ugly--at one point I was getting the red triangle android, then it would just blink the Google logo over and over... at any rate, I managed to reload 4.23 and now everything works fine. EXCEPT, my free space is mostly gone. When I go into the Storage menu in settings, my "Total space" is 6.02GB. This is (was!) a 16GB model. How I can tell where the rest of the space went? Maybe there are two recovery partitions now?

Happy to send screenshots, run fastboot commands, etc., to provide more info if needed.

Side question: My bootloader version (after the shenanigans above) is 4.23 (even though my original android version was 4.22). I recently upgraded to KitKat and the bootloader version is still 4.23. Normal?
    Last edited by portablealpha; 12-02-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: clarification
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Total storage space cut in half after tinkering disaster

Update: Here is a screenshot of my partition table.
    Total storage space cut in half after tinkering disaster-screenshot_2013-12-02-16-22-42-1-.png

I had the same problem, flashed 4.4 & only had 6.2GB Total storage showing. Like my N7 thought it was an 8GB model.... I Tried Everything.. Factory reset, Soft Boot, Battery pull, Reflashing 4.3 & 4.4..... Finally I tried relocking then Unlocking the Bootloader - Problem solved

Edit... 4.23 is totally up to date so you're GTG on the Bootloader version
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks! That worked. The unit is still sort of FUBAR under the hood (for example: fastboot devices shows "??????????????" instead of its serial number; I cannot re-lock the bootloader again because it says "too many links") but at least I have my 13GB of storage!
    Last edited by portablealpha; 12-02-2013 at 08:40 PM.