Advice for new Nexus 7 owner

projectmx

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased a Nexus 7 (first real android device) and was wanting some general tips concerning using it once it arrives.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and congratulations on your awesome new Nexus 7! Here are some of my suggestions to start off with:

1. Get a good case. The tablet might look and feel great on its own, but it's only a matter of time before it accidentally flies off the tabletop and smashes on the floor, and then it won't be pretty no more. I have this Roocase, which is very slim and lightweight, but the edges do get worn over time. I just ordered this MPero, which has a snap-in hardback, but can't say much about it yet because it's still not here.

2. Screen protector is up to you. I'm not a big fan of screen protectors, because sooner or later they look really old and dingy. The Nexus 7 has Corning Gorilla Glass, which is pretty strong and scratch-resistant (but not scratch-proof; you still have to treat it nice).

3. If you have an Android device (especially a Nexus device), you might as well go all in with Google apps. I can't remember which ones are preinstalled on the N7, but you should make sure you have Google Play Music, Google Newsstand, Google Drive (their cloud and office productivity app), Google Keep (nice note-taking app).

4. Once you've set up your Nexus 7, make sure your system is up to date by going to Settings/About Tablet/System Updates. If you update to the latest Android version (4.4, "KitKat"), then afterwards it might be a good idea to clear the system cache partition, which is like clearing the cobwebs left over from the previous system version. Instructions here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...e-nexus-7-2012-2013-cache-partition-wipe.html

5. If you're brand new to Android, then review this thread (the beginning part is the most helpful): http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/31622-getting-started-android-tips-tricks.html. It's a little outdated, but still quite relevant.

I'm sure there's other things, but gotta run for now. Have fun!

projectmx

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks I will look over all of this when it finally arrives. I have used the goodle play store a little for my mp3 player but I am looking forward to finally getting the audobon guides in app form as well as voxer and a few other apps for hiking and maybe a few games :). Right now my Canadian phone (which I use most of the time, I only am state side a few days a month) is a legacy blackberry and I am trying to decide on my next phone, not an easy decision at all (especially with how badly Canadians are ripped off by the main cell phone companies)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I am looking forward to finally getting the audobon guides in app form

Make sure you check out the Amazon Appstore for the Audubon guides as well. They occasionally have them on sale or even free, so you might get a better deal there than on Google Play.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae