Nexus 7 won't update to 4.4. Gives error message.

scolson1

May 15, 2011
Visit site
My wife's wifi Nexus 7 has been getting the update notification for 4.4.1 for the last 10 days or so. Every time, without exception, when she clicks update, it will download the update, start updating for about 1 minute with the picture of the android's chest cavity open, and then say error and show a picture of the android laying down. This has happened at least 7 or 8 times now. She just got a notification for 4.4.2 about 10 minutes ago and it did the same thing. She's at the point where she doesn't even try to update it anymore; she just ignores the icon. Side loading is not an option. I'd prefer for the OTA to actually work. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks!

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
when the error happens, press power then the volume up key and it will show all the messages related to the update. Let me know what error it runs into. Is this device rooted? if so some system files may have been changed that need to be changed back.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
From what I gather from the comments in this forum, the Nexus 7 never received 4.4.1. It went from 4.4 directly to 4.4.2. Hmmm.

scolson1

May 15, 2011
Visit site
It's not rooted. She originally received the 4.4.1 update about 2 weeks ago. It would come and go, but every time it would give the error message. Last night, it said it was 4.4.2, but did the same thing.

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
K try what i mentioned above, just to see what the problem is and we can go from there. Worst case, you will need to flash the factory image when its out.

archaeo1

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem with trying to upgrade to 4.42. On your recommendation when the Error showed up I I hit the power button, then the up volume and got the following data:
/system/app/callendarGoogle.apk has unexpected contents.
E: Error in /cache/C286a8700a657182774ed2180a84dbc9a618b743. signal (status 7) Installation aborted.[/I]

Any suggestions on fixing this?

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
yeah the error resides with that calendar apk. Try going into the app settings to calendar (or google calendar) and see if there is an option to uninstall updates. then try to do the 4.4 update.

scolson1

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Sorry it took so long to reply. The update only shows up every once in a while. After a failed update, the tablet says it is up to date. Then my wife has to wait until it offers the update again.

tfisch

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm having this issue as well. Diagnostics say:

"/system/app/KoreanIME.apk" has unexpected contents.
E: Error in /cache/c236a8700e657182774ed2180a84dbc9a618b743.signed-nakasi-KOT49H-from-JWR66Y.c236a870.zip
(Status 7)

Any idea?

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
google "nexus root toolkit".

after a 30 minute learning curve on figuring what to do, you'll be able to unlock the bootloader, install a custom recovery, root it, make a backup, and flash the updated factory image. all you need to download is the toolkit. the toolkit itself will do the downloading of the proper files to accomplish those tasks. i believe the factory image for 4.4.2 has been released. the developer of the toolkit hopefully has updated the app to included 4.4.2, though the last time i checked, about 1 week ago, he had not. the developer is "wugfresh" to help in your google search.

scolson1

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Sorry it took so long for me to reply, the holidays were crazy. So I tried to install 4.4.2 again on the Nexus, but about halfway through the install process, the error message appeared again. This time, I pressed volume up and power as per your suggestion, and it came up with a message. I took a picture of it so I could get some help with it. Any ideas?2014-01-04 16.48.00.jpg

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
That happened to me I'm rooted BTW and what I did to fix it was connect to PC and download the KitKat update from Google images website then when on the screen with the error message press and hold power and vol up until it says adb sideload then just type in the name of the update which you downloaded eg , adb sideload kit kat Google update.zip

sent from my Nexus 7 using tapatalk pro..

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
And if done correctly your PC will start to push the update to your nexus - remember to click on USB debugging and set your USB to camera not mtp p.s sorry if my little guide is rough round the edges but I'm not at my PC , good luck....

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Oh one last thing - rename that update in your PIC to KitKat instead of those letters and numbers followed by signed by.. So its just adb sideload KitKat.zip

scolson1

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to do this without sideloading? I feel that I shouldn't have to do that since I haven't modified the tablet in any way.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech