Lookout App keeps tellling me Android stock camera app is adware

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else getting these warnings that the Camera app is adware?

Recommends uninstalling, right so then you have no camera.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else getting these warnings that the Camera app is adware?

Recommends uninstalling, right so then you have no camera.

I would email the developers on that one. Give them device, carrier, and Android version number.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The 2012 Nexus 7 does not come with a preinstalled stock Camera app, since it doesn't have a front-facing camera. Where did you get your Camera app? Perhaps the Camera app you installed is suspect, or maybe the tweaks that were necessary to make the stock Camera app work for the 2012 Nexus 7 makes it seem like adware to Lookout.

Or do you actually have the 2013 Nexus 7, which does have a front-facing camera, and therefore a preinstalled Camera app?

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a camera app on my 2012 that I got in the play store. Lookout gave me this warning one time not too long ago. I just ignored it.

Rick83

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I just installed Lookout on my 2012 Nexus 7 since I been using it on my S4 and get the same error too. Nexus 7 does come with a front facing camera just not a rear. I dont recall ever manually installing a camera app so I assume its stock. I'm running stock OTA 4.4.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oops, I meant that the 2012 N7 doesn't have the rear facing camera. Odd that mine doesn't have the camera app while others do.

Posted via Android Central App

Rick83

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Actually i think you might be right, but I use an app manager and sync my apps so I may have pulled it from being install on my phone at the time.

I uninstalled it and installed this. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=com.netco.camera&token=MlC5EwcW and seems to work fine. Looks the same as well. It links to the embedded app thats not visible.

Whats interesting is that I was running AVG before I replaced it with Lookout and it never complained.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Whats interesting is that I was running AVG before I replaced it with Lookout and it never complained.

Different security apps will have different algorithms or criteria for sniffing out malware. There are plenty of reports of various security apps labeling legitimate apps adware or malware, perhaps based on how they access the web, or how they display ads.

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Different security apps will have different algorithms or criteria for sniffing out malware. There are plenty of reports of various security apps labeling legitimate apps adware or malware, perhaps based on how they access the web, or how they display ads.
I just got this notification again after loading 4.4.2. I clicked ignore. I think it is the camera app that I loaded months ago. I can't remember how I got it, I thought it was from the Play Store. I have never used it, was just a curiosity thing. Can't hurt anything I don't think.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Avast still is notorious for that. When I was running it, it once claimed Play was a malicious app. Instant uninstall.

From a Sprint Moto X using the AC forums app.

Cmstlist

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Same here. Upon further inspection the app is com.modaco.cameralauncher. In the 4.2.x days I used to use a MoDaCo custom ROM (before Paul stopped making them for Nexus devices). It must be a relic from that. However the app does not appear to use any permissions either. I do trust that MoDaCo would not have put any adware in the app.

I think maybe Lookout is programmed to detect apps that appear to pretend to be everyday system apps, and report them as malware.