1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default nexus 7 shuts off when bumped lightly on back

OK I'm stumped. I have sent this thing in 2 times to be fixed. First time I sent it I had the screen replaced, when I received it back it worked but with one problem...sometimes when I would lightly bump it while using it or just simply turn it the wrong way, it would randomly shut off and then the power button would not work either. If I would wait awhile and randomly tap it on the back a bit, I could sometimes get it yo fire up again, or sometimes just plugging it in to the charger would bring it back to boot again.so strange...
    I brought it back in and explained the issue.
    They then replaced the power switch cable thinking that would solve it. They said it worked now...wrong. I got home and the same thing happened.
    I want to know if anyone else has had this happen and what did you do?! I realize when working with technology its a guessing game but needed to check if anyone had a suggestion

Default Re: nexus 7 shuts off when bumped lightly on back

Just a quick guess, but could your battery's connection be loose. Some user's have experienced a half way connected battery to be the culprit in similar problems. Nothing actually acts as a keeper to ensure the small plugin stays connected. Hope this helps
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: nexus 7 shuts off when bumped lightly on back

OK that's a good possibility. Thanks. I was just tinkering with it trying to be careful to pinpoint what is causing the gltch. When I push on one particular spot on the bezzle surrounding the left side of the screen it shuts down...weird right? So I took the back off and notice that that particular spot has a little screw missing that hold the mainboard together with the screen. The other thing I noticed is that there is one of those grounding prongs right on that spot too.
    I wondering if either
    1. I'm detaching the ground tab by flexing the bezzel at that point or
    2. I'm flexing some connection on the main board there.
    Anyway, just an update.
    I will test to make sure battery connection is solid now.