1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Navigation icons have "swapped positions" after upgrade to Android 4.4.2

I have a 2012 rooted Nexus 7 that I just upgraded to Android 4.4.2. I have several problems.

The icons at the top of the main screens have swapped positions. Battery Use is now on the right hand side of the screen and clock/wi-fi connection/etc icons are now on the left-hand side of the screen.

When I go to "Settings" the "check boxes" are now on the left-hand side of the screen and the text is now on the right-hand side of the screen.

The 'go back" arrow at the bottom of the Nexus 7 has swapped positions with the "open apps" box.

The screens now work in reverse (i.e. I used to swipe a screen to the left to see the next screen (s). Now I must swipe to the right to see the same screens.)

The problems occur in both Landscape and Portrait modes .I have tried a soft reset and also started the tablet in safe mode, but that has not helped. All of my apps seem to work fine.

Any ideas to solve this problem? Thank you.

Default Re: Navigation icons have "swapped positions" after upgrade to Android 4.4.2

Welcome to Android Central! I've never heard of that happening before. This is the stock 4.4.2 that you upgraded to, not a custom ROM? You could try a cache partition wipe to see if that does anything.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Navigation icons have "swapped positions" after upgrade to Android 4.4.2

Yes, it is the stock 4.2.2. I tried the cache partition wipe and that did not solve the problem.

Also, I just noticed my widgets have disappeared from my main screens and I cannot reset them into position on the main screens.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

All is well. I found the solution buried in the Developer options.

If you check the box by "force RTL Layout direction" it creates the "problems" I mentioned (try it). I unchecked the box and now my N7 is behaving normally. I have no idea how this box was checked.

Interesting. I guess RTL means Right To Left. I wonder why that would be needed as a Developer Option. Glad you figured it out!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I agree, I think it means right to left. I wonder if it is for a Japanese version of Android since they read from right to left.

I was wondering the same thing, but I figured that the order of the icons wouldn't really matter as much as the order of words or characters.