Nexus 7: Battery Life

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone seeing battery life like what I am seeing? I unplugged my tablet this morning, used it for a few minutes and then left it at home while I went to work. When I got home, it was at 73%. See the attached battery graphs. I didn't get a shot of the screen on time, but as you can see, almost all of the time was with the screen off.

Attachments

• 2013-12-18 23.48.22.png
    2013-12-18 23.48.22.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 2013-12-18 23.48.14.png
    2013-12-18 23.48.14.png
    129.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited by a moderator:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Battery Life

Do you have any apps that constantly refresh such as weather? That's usually the culprit in these cases.

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

Not that I know of. WeatherBug and HD Widgets are set to refresh every hour. I can try decreasing the frequency of those apps, but wouldn't those show up in the battery stats screen?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Not that I know of. WeatherBug and HD Widgets are set to refresh every hour. I can try decreasing the frequency of those apps, but wouldn't those show up in the battery stats screen?

Usually yes. Download the free version of GSAM Battery Monitor. It will show the percentage of every application no matter how little it used. That may help locate it. A wake lock detector may also help but I've never been a fan of those.

Also, reboot your tablet after installing GSAM so we eliminate any rogue apps.

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

Usually yes. Download the free version of GSAM Battery Monitor. It will show the percentage of every application no matter how little it used. That may help locate it. A wake lock detector may also help but I've never been a fan of those.

Also, reboot your tablet after installing GSAM so we eliminate any rogue apps.

Looks like GSAM Battery Monitor won't work on Kit Kat yet for non-root users...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387428302135.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387428302135.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 44

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site

I have that issue on both my N7 and my Samsung GS3. Try Wake locks Detector. Just a guess but with you I would press screen line you show at 17% and AR how many hours that encompasses. What happens is apps turn on the screen or wake it up from sleep and some of that is called wake locks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mrvco

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site

My battery life is in the toilet now as well.... 100% charge last night, used it for an hour or so reading web pages (no video), brightness on the lowest setting (which still seems really bright), only chrome running with one or two tabs, put it on the night stand and I'm at 40% this morning.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

GSam Battery Monitor is now compatible with KitKat, so it's worth installing it to get a better breakdown of battery use.

Posted via Android Central App

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

GSam Battery Monitor is now compatible with KitKat, so it's worth installing it to get a better breakdown of battery use.

Posted via Android Central App

Thanks. I have it installed and will see what it says.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

anon8383393

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

Disable location services and Bluetooth and NFC and fully charge the tablet, worked for me

Posted via Android Central App on my Nexus 7

fisherking3k

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

am suddenly seeing faster battery drain as well (no bluetooth, location services, nfc)...i DO use wifi... GSam battery monitor shows the screen as the biggest power drain... and mine's set to less than 50% (as it's always been)... (followed by android os kernel, and wifi). but the screen currently shows "82.4%"...and I've barely had it on today...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

am suddenly seeing faster battery drain as well (no bluetooth, location services, nfc)...i DO use wifi... GSam battery monitor shows the screen as the biggest power drain... and mine's set to less than 50% (as it's always been)... (followed by android os kernel, and wifi). but the screen currently shows "82.4%"...and I've barely had it on today...

Can you post a screenshot of the GSam stats, and also the graph?

From time to time, I notice my 2012 N7 will suddenly start draining fast, and I haven't been able to pinpoint any app that is causing it. Just happened last night, and I was able to ascertain that the screen was actually on for a few hours, causing the drain. Which is weird, because it was just sitting untouched, with the smartcover closed, which should have kept the screen off. If I figure out anything more about it, I'll post an update.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Actually, why don't you wait a few hours of typical usage, and then post the battery stats and graph again? What you just posted isn't entirely helpful, because the battery is still at 100%, and GSam is simply trying to extrapolate the battery life based on previous usage.

fisherking3k

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

Actually, why don't you wait a few hours of typical usage, and then post the battery stats and graph again? What you just posted isn't entirely helpful, because the battery is still at 100%, and GSam is simply trying to extrapolate the battery life based on previous usage.

LOL, of course! i had JUST charged the N7... will see how things look later...

fisherking3k

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

my N7 seems to be dropping less than 1% per hour, while not being used. typical? anyone? it DOES not seem as bad as it's been... will keep an eye on it...

EDIT: so...about a 28% loss over about 15 hours of (mostly) non-use. sounds right? or?

Last edited:

Danny Vaper

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand the screen usage % on mine. I've got this battery app, but with my brightness down (almost at the lowest setting) it's still showing 80% usage. When I had it up to full it was showing 83% usage. How is that possible?

Edit: The app also won't tell me how long until full recharge. It just says that its calculating for the last 10min.

Posted via Android Central App with 2012 N7

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

my N7 seems to be dropping less than 1% per hour, while not being used. typical? anyone? it DOES not seem as bad as it's been... will keep an eye on it...

EDIT: so...about a 28% loss over about 15 hours of (mostly) non-use. sounds right? or?

Still seems a little excessive. My N7 will lose at most 2-3% overnight when not in use. Can you post a screenshot of GSam Battery Monitor again?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I don't understand the screen usage % on mine. I've got this battery app, but with my brightness down (almost at the lowest setting) it's still showing 80% usage. When I had it up to full it was showing 83% usage. How is that possible?

Edit: The app also won't tell me how long until full recharge. It just says that its calculating for the last 10min.

Posted via Android Central App with 2012 N7

The screen is almost always going to be one of the main battery consumers. Remember that it's a percentage, so it could simply mean that there aren't many other apps that are using battery at the time.