1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Default Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012) Power up questions

How long do you generally have to press the power button when powering on the N7 (not rooted, running 4.4.2) ? Sometimes it will power up if I press it a few seconds, release, and then wait for the Google logo to appear, but i often find that nothing happens (don't get a the Google logo to come on after waiting ) unless I keep pressing the power button in for almost 30 seconds until the logo appears and then release it. Once it powers up it seems to run just fine.

Is this a problem? Is there a fix? I've cleared the cache but that doesn't seem to make much difference. Also, no problems if I just hold the power button until it shuts itself off (not using the power off prompt) and keep holding it a few seconds after it powers down to automatically reboot (I read this tip here and assume it is OK to do?). This problem just seems to appear when I power up after shutting it down for a day or two.

Also, I've read suggestions in other threads, not about this issue, that talk about starting up in Safe Mode. How is this done and why would i do it?

Default Re: Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012) Power up questions

its weird that you would have to powercyce it that much.

In each occasion have you powered it off? or was it just off (otherwise know as Sleep Of Death)?
    does it work consistently in waking the device when the device is on? (making sure this isn't a hardware problem)

I have the same issue. I believe that the system is starting to lag a little the power button obviously works but the time to hold it does seem longer at different times. I haven't just held the power button for off then on again. Are you doing that as a reset?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

This only occurs when I power down intentionally, which I don't do often. Usually I just put it into sleep mode using a cover with a magnet in it. It wakes up fine when I open the cover, or if it has just gone into sleep mode by itself when I tap the power button. For example, yesterday I powered down for a long travel day, when I went to power up last nite I needed to hold the power button for almost 20 seconds to get to the Google logo after trying shorter presses (~5 and 10 seconds) and not getting anything.The problem is not consistent either - sometimes a few seconds will work, sometimes not. The first time I couldn't power up easily I called Google support (I was still under warranty at the time) and they told me to just keep holding the power button until I saw the Google logo. Once it powers up it seems to run just fine.

As for the power down/restart by just holding the power button, it's a tip I read here and have used a few times - it's sort of like telling a laptop to restart rather than telling it to shut down and then manually restarting. I started doing it this way due to my frustration with the power button, and don't do this very often. Sleep mode is my usual practice, I only power cycle to clear the "cobwebs" occasionally.

Here's a Google support page that might be helpful:

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Thanks BDiddy, but that's not my problem. It charges just fine and I'm using the original c charger and cord, and it always starts up. My issue is only about how long I have to hold the power button to get it to start.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was wondering if the process of plugging it in, unplugging it, then plugging it back in within 10 seconds might help (as mentioned in that link). Supposedly, this is a way to wake the tablet up from a deep sleep, which might be why it takes so long to power up sometimes.

Posted via Android Central App
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

The bit about holding the power button for 15-30 seconds in the first section of that support page is what I have to do and as noted earlier it's not a regular occurrence. I will give your suggestion a try and see if anything changes. Otherwise I will consider this a minor annoyance that I will just live with - I don't often power down, sometimes it powers up without problems and since I've learned the "restart" trick it will only annoy me occasionally. Beyond that, I still love my N7!!