Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Charging port problems...

The charging port on my daughters Nexus 7 (2012) will no longer charge her tablet. The cable is really loose in the port, and the charger will charge other devices. Where can I find the port at, or do I have to send the unit back to Asus?
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"

Default Re: Charging port problems...

This would be something ASUS or authorized/reputable repair store would have to fix. Most situations I believe they just swap out the entire motherboard since its connected but there maybe a shop that would attempt just replacing the USB port but again I would only go this route if they have a proven reputation with some sort of warranty on that type of replacement.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    This would be something ASUS or authorized/reputable repair store would have to fix. Most situations I believe they just swap out the entire motherboard since its connected but there maybe a shop that would attempt just replacing the USB port but again I would only go this route if they have a proven reputation with some sort of warranty on that type of replacement.
    Thanks....
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Has any one had this done or know how much it costs?

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

You could get the dock. It uses the pogo pins for charging.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Where and what are the pogo pins?

I thought the Nexus 7 can only be charged via the USB.

Quote Originally Posted by myhui View Post
    Where and what are the pogo pins?

I thought the Nexus 7 can only be charged via the USB.
    Pogo pins are on the bezel part at lower left of unit when looking at the unit in "portrait" mode. Four brass dots.
    These contact spots mate with the pins on the charging dock, which looks like a long rectangle with a slot for the N7 to sit in.

I love my charging dock! I hardly use the USB connector

The USB port is not directly attached to the motherboard, it is connected by a detachable ribbon cable and should be fairly easy to replace yourself (have a look at the iFixit teardown). Although replacements are, at $50 on eBay, more expensive than I expected them to be, it is just possible that Asus might be able to repair it cheaper since the part itself couldn't have cost them more than $5 to manufacture in bulk.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sampoodle View Post
    I love my charging dock! I hardly use the USB connector
    I just got mine from Newegg and agree with you that it is an essential accessory.

But what about the newer edition of the Nexus 7? Does that have its own dock too? I can't seem to find a dock for the 2013 model of the Nexus 7.

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marutizhiyi View Post
    You could get the dock. It uses the pogo pins for charging
    Your pictures are not showing up.

A dock for the 2013 Nexus 7?

I thought the dock only fits the 2012 model.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

I had the same problem. After sending it back to Asus twice, I bought the dock and have no more issues.

Posted via Android Central App