1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Seriously Frustrated

I have a brand new (Christmas gift) Nexus 7 tablet. I was prompted to download an upgrade to 4.3 Jelly Bean. I allowed the upgrade and now, much to my horror, my tablet has been rendered useless. I have only the multicolored "X". It will not boot. I obtained instructions from Google Support to perform a "hard" reset back to the original factory settings. This was, seemingly, successfully accomplished, however, IT DID NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM!!!!!! I still have the multicolored "X" and it will not boot. It is really frustrating to have a brand new piece of technology " taken out" by an upgrade. I've done all I know to do on my own.

Can someone please help me?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Seriously Frustrated

Thought I'd add that I did successfully "wipe data/factory reset". All the steps for restoring factory settings worked - just didn't solve the problem that the attempted upgrade created. I'm not able to repeat this process in an attempt to solve the problem. I get as far as the Android robot with the red exclamation mark. Hold down power/press volume up now shuts off the tablet. I do not get the options to scroll through now. ???????

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieShrew View Post
    I have a brand new (Christmas gift) Nexus 7 tablet. I was prompted to download an upgrade to 4.3 Jelly Bean. I allowed the upgrade and now, much to my horror, my tablet has been rendered useless. I have only the multicolored "X". It will not boot. I obtained instructions from Google Support to perform a "hard" reset back to the original factory settings. This was, seemingly, successfully accomplished, however, IT DID NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM!!!!!! I still have the multicolored "X" and it will not boot. It is really frustrating to have a brand new piece of technology " taken out" by an upgrade. I've done all I know to do on my own.

Can someone please help me?
    [GUIDE] Nexus 7 - Factory Image Restore
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

There is no reason to play around with this Nexus. Return it for a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieShrew View Post
    Thought I'd add that I did successfully "wipe data/factory reset". All the steps for restoring factory settings worked - just didn't solve the problem that the attempted upgrade created. I'm not able to repeat this process in an attempt to solve the problem. I get as far as the Android robot with the red exclamation mark. Hold down power/press volume up now shuts off the tablet. I do not get the options to scroll through now. ???????
    Welcome to Android Central, and that sounds very frustrating! So you're saying you successfully did a "wipe data/factory reset"--was this from the Recovery Menu? And are you saying now that you're unable to get to the Recovery Menu? When you see the Android with the red exclamation point, it can be a little tricky to get the button presses right--you need to press and hold the Power button, then immediately press and hold the Volume Up button, the release both at the same time after about half a second. If you haven't already looked at it, here's a guide on getting to the Recovery Menu and performing a system cache partition wipe: [GUIDE] Android Memory and How to Deal with Low Memory Warnings

If you're able to get to the Recovery Menu, try the "wipe cache partition" option. Otherwise, still1's link with instructions on how to restore the factory image is a good next step.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks for the replies. B. Diddy, the tablet was taken down so hard that it wouldn't boot to the point that I could get to a menu. I attempted a "hard" reset with instructions I obtained over on the Google forum. Went through the process 3 times successfully, but the problem was not solved. I've turned it over to a friend who is a "geek squad" employee with Best Buy. He says he sees this problem a couple times per week or so, feels he can take care of it for me. If not, I'll be returning it for repair/replacement. I'll certainly be completely PARANOID (LOL) about any future upgrades. I received a reply from someone over on the Nexus Forum. He says the Nexus 7 tablets should be upgrading to KitKat 4.4, not Jelly Bean 4.3. Any clue why the tablet prompted the Jelly Bean upgrade? Would this have a made a difference. Where do the upgrade suggestions come from? Sorry for the newby questions, but I is what I is (blush)!

Your friend is right, the device should have downloaded the KitKat update rather than Jellybean. Not sure why it did what it did. One possibility to consider is that the device wasn't brand new--maybe someone had it, tinkered with it, then returned it, and it was sold again as new?

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Your friend is right, the device should have downloaded the KitKat update rather than Jellybean. Not sure why it did what it did. One possibility to consider is that the device wasn't brand new--maybe someone had it, tinkered with it, then returned it, and it was sold again as new?

Posted via Android Central App
    My new 2012 Nexus first updated to 4.3 and then to Kit kat, although I didnt run into any problems during the updates.

Posted via my Galaxy s4
    Posted from my iPad mini.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Update! My "techy" friend wasn't able to salvage the tablet either. It wouldn't accept a direct download of the original factory settings or respond to a "hard" reset and he thinks something is wrong with the tablet. So, I guess I'll be returning it. Seems the download fried the unit. Frustrating! Thanks for the helpful insight received here.

That's a bummer. Hopefully you get a perfect unit as a replacement. Let us know!