Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  • 1 Post By StLouisMan2
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By StLouisMan2
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Has Anyone Flashed from Android 4.4.2 Back to Android 4.3.*?

There have been an lot of complaints about the problems people have had with their 2012 Nexus 7 Tablets after the system upgrade to Kit Kat and further to 4.4.2. I know because I have been one of the complainers. I'm just wondering how everyone solved these problems. Has anyone flashed back to Jellybean? How is that working? Have you sent your Tablet back to ASUS or Google for replacement? How did that go? Did you do something completely different that solved your problem? How did it go?

What I'm trying to do in this thread is talk about the ins and outs of SUCCESSFUL solutions to problems that arose because of the recent system upgrades.

Thank you,
    Greg

Default Re: Has Anyone Flashed from Android 4.4.2 Back to Android 4.3.*?

I've had no real issues to complain about since upgrading to 4.4.2. Loving the goodness that KitKat offers.

For the first time in ages I'm running unlocked but not rooted. In the event I ever want to flash back to an earlier version of Android its just a factory image flash away.. Not a problem

Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Thanked by:
    StLouisMan2 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    I've had no real issues to complain about since upgrading to 4.4.2. Loving the goodness that KitKat offers.
    For the first time in ages I'm running unlocked but not rooted. In the event I ever want to flash back to an earlier version of Android its just a factory image flash away.. Not a problem
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.
    That's really great; you've been very lucky. I just wish that some of the people that have started/participated in other threads complaining about problems the system upgrade caused them would see my thread and talk about their successful resolutions. I'm trying to get an idea of what to do next. Should I contact ASUS and see whether they'll take it back for a repair? How much would that cost? Should I just live with the annoyances? Should I figure out how to sell the tablet and use the money towards a 2013 Nexus 7 LTE?

Whatever. I'm glad the system upgrades went well for you, and would you please answer a question for me? What does " I'm running unlocked but not rooted" mean? I was pretty sure that I had come to understand what a rooted device was, but I don't know what unlocked means in comparison. Now, I don't think I understand either.

Thanks,
    Greg

Well unlocked but not rooted means I have unlocked the bootloader on the device but I haven't gone any further such as flashing a custom recovery like ClockWorkMod or TWRP and then obtained root.

Basically I've left my options open.. If I choose to root then I can.. If I want to leave it just unlocked I can do that too... I always do it with my Nexus's immediately so I don't have to go thru the FULL WIPE that happens when you unlock your bootloader.

As for the problems your experiencing do you believe its just OS/update related? If so then you could always flash the factory images to go back to Android 4.3.x. I doubt sending the device to ASUS is going to resolve much if its just a software related issue.

Biggest thing some people forget about too is when a major OS update comes out it takes time for app developers and even Google to get all common apps and such running smooth. There is always a few updates and tweaks to get things hammered out.
    Paul

Thanked by:
    StLouisMan2 likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thank you Paul627g. I do tend to lack patience. I don't think it's totally software related. Your upgrade went fine. I think possibly the upgrade revealed some flaw(s) in the Tablet that made it unable to work great with the upgrade. Anyway, I'll sit on it for a while longer.

Thanks again,
    Greg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

No problem Greg.

Exactly what problems are you having? I'll admit I don't use my N7 a ton. I use it for browsing the forums and chatting on Google Hangouts, watching some YouTube videos and some light to medium gaming. I had some sluggishness at first when it updated but it seemed to work itself out and now runs smooth like 4.3.x and down.
    Paul

My 2012 N7 works great after the update. I use mine a lot.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

No problem Greg.

Exactly what problems are you having? I'll admit I don't use my N7 a ton. I use it for browsing the forums and chatting on Google Hangouts, watching some YouTube videos and some light to medium gaming. I had some sluggishness at first when it updated but it seemed to work itself out and now runs smooth like 4.3.x and down.
    First let me say, if I haven't already done, that with Google's help I've gone through a hard reset. Basically, almost every time I turn it on, it boots and gets only part way through loading notifications from the various apps and then freezes. After some time has passed, it will announce that the launcher is not responding or has stopped. Then, it will spontaneously reboot and is usually pretty OK after that. There might be an occasional freeze here and there when the launcher stops again, but nothing too serious. It will seldom reboot itself after that first time. The annoying thing about this is that I miss those notifications that were put up before it froze. Clearly, It thinks I've seen the already and doesn't bother reposting them.

Thanks for listening. You folks here at Android Central Forums are great,
    Greg
    Thanked by:
    Paul627g likes this.

Greg,

Sounds like software more than hardware... I'm thinking you maybe a perfect candidate for a true FULL WIPE and flashing the new 4.4.2 factory images.. Sometimes those OTA's even with factory reset can be goofed...
    Paul

Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Greg,

Sounds like software more than hardware... I'm thinking you maybe a perfect candidate for a true FULL WIPE and flashing the new 4.4.2 factory images.. Sometimes those OTA's even with factory reset can be goofed...
    Paul627,

I'm sorry. I don't know what a FULL WIPE is. And although I posted the question, I don't know what "flashing the new 4.4.2 factory images" means either.

Greg

Well unlocked but not rooted means I have unlocked the bootloader on the device but I haven't gone any further such as flashing a custom recovery like ClockWorkMod or TWRP and then obtained root.

Basically I've left my options open.. If I choose to root then I can.. If I want to leave it just unlocked I can do that too... I always do it with my Nexus's immediately so I don't have to go thru the FULL WIPE that happens when you unlock your bootloader.

As for the problems your experiencing do you believe its just OS/update related? If so then you could always flash the factory images to go back to Android 4.3.x. I doubt sending the device to ASUS is going to resolve much if its just a software related issue.

Biggest thing some people forget about too is when a major OS update comes out it takes time for app developers and even Google to get all common apps and such running smooth. There is always a few updates and tweaks to get things hammered out.
    Dear sir, have you heard of nexus unlocker? Apperently the dev said he had found the data partition that needs to be changed for a botloader to be unlocked on almost all nexus devices. You will need root and a one time full wipe unlock bootloader, but with the app, you just toggle a switch and you can lock, unlock without wipe.

This is a signature

I find your lack of faith in android disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by StLouisMan2 View Post
    Paul627,

I'm sorry. I don't know what a FULL WIPE is. And although I posted the question, I don't know what "flashing the new 4.4.2 factory images" means either.

Greg

Greg,

Best way to describe this is you obtain the Google provided Factory Images and then following either Google's or someones guide flash them which if done the proper way WIPES " erases " and RE WRITES the entire OS and associated firmware back to the device leaving you as it would appear brand new out of the box.

Google Factory Images for the Nexus 7 and all other Nexus devices.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darth android View Post
    Dear sir, have you heard of nexus unlocker? Apperently the dev said he had found the data partition that needs to be changed for a botloader to be unlocked on almost all nexus devices. You will need root and a one time full wipe unlock bootloader, but with the app, you just toggle a switch and you can lock, unlock without wipe.

This is a signature

Yes I have heard of the Nexus unlocker. I haven't used it personally but I know of its existence.
    Paul

Thanked by:
    StLouisMan2 likes this.

Greg,

Best way to describe this is you obtain the Google provided Factory Images and then following either Google's or someones guide flash them which if done the proper way WIPES " erases " and RE WRITES the entire OS and associated firmware back to the device leaving you as it would appear brand new out of the box.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I have heard of the Nexus unlocker. I haven't used it personally but I know of its existence.
    Okay...

Also, does the adb flash xyz.zip or whatever require root?

This is a signature

Quote Originally Posted by darth android View Post
    Okay...

Also, does the adb flash xyz.zip or whatever require root?

This is a signature

If your referring to flashing the factory images? No..

You can use the factory images at ANY time to remove root and restore back to stock, or simply to just clean the device and start fresh or say you don't like KitKat and want to downgrade back to JellyBean 4.3.x

All it requires is an unlocked bootloader, proper device drivers and fastboot/adb installed on your computer.
    Paul

If your referring to flashing the factory images? No..

You can use the factory images at ANY time to remove root and restore back to stock, or simply to just clean the device and start fresh or say you don't like KitKat and want to downgrade back to JellyBean 4.3.x

All it requires is an unlocked bootloader, proper device drivers and fastboot/adb installed on your computer.
    Oh, okay. Thanks.

This is a signature

I've had a few little stutters and glitches on my nexus 7 rooted with TWRP recovery , xposed framework with around 5 modules lol maybe that's the problem haha...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

@Paul627 a full wipe is when you go into settings and click on backup and reset then factory data reset it will make your device as if you've just bought it from the shop..

a full wipe is when you go into settings and click on backup and reset then factory data reset it will make your device as if you've Just bought it from the shop

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by xceeder View Post
    @Paul627 a full wipe is when you go into settings and click on backup and reset then factory data reset it will make your device as if you've just bought it from the shop..

I would suggest skipping the backup part if you already have contacts Sync'd. Factory reset and see if that helps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Greg,

Paul627,

Clearly, I didn't know what I was up to because I thought this was the effect I was achieving by doing a factory reset, which I told you I have already done. [There is something in the back of my brain about using fiber optics to flash the OS on computers at the factory.]

Anyway, do I send my Tablet back to Asus to have them do this? Could a really experienced Android tech person do this themselves? I can't imagine finding someone who would be willing to hold my hand if I were to try doing it.

Thanks again,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by xceeder View Post

Some consider what your describing a full wipe but in my opinion it's not always good enough.

To me if I want to fully wipe and reset my device I go the route of flashing the factory images which formats the partitions and then rewrites the OS and firmware.

I've seen situations where the factory reset from within Settings didn't accomplish the job but a factory image flashing did.

Sent from my awesome HTC One
    Paul

Anyway, do I send my Tablet back to Asus to have them do this? Could a really experienced Android tech person do this themselves? I can't imagine finding someone who would be willing to hold my hand if I were to try doing it.
    Yes many people, experienced and noobs have successfully followed instructions/guides to unlock their bootloaders and flash the factory images on their Nexus devices.
    Paul

Global Posts
    13,853 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Might there be a YouTube video to watch?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    StLouisMan2 likes this.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Might there be a YouTube video to watch?
    Yes. Thanks. This is a great question. Is there? Something to watch or read to get instructions for the process?

Greg

25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Yes. Thanks. This is a great question. Is there? Something to watch or read to get instructions for the process?

Greg

I just answered my own questions by doing a little research. Here is a good URL:

It is a set of step by step instructions for unlocking any Nexus bootloader. Embedded, is a YouTube video showing how to do it on a Nexus 5.

The following URL may be better in that it guides you all the way through flashing a particular version of Android onto a Nexus 7 Tablet:

Greg

Last edited by StLouisMan2; 01-04-2014 at 03:45 PM.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.