1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Post Is my device faulty - should it be replaced?

Hi I bought a new Nexus 7 (2012) just 1 week ago. Everything has been working fine until recently it would not switch on after being turned off for a few hours.
    After seeing threads about this problem i was able to turn it on by holding the power button for about 30 seconds, but the same thing happened again the next day after being powered off overnight.

I took the device to the store i bought it from but they would not give me a replacement, as they said "it turns on, and works fine" and they could not see the fault even though they had to hold the power on for 30 secs for it to start up.

Surely I am entitled to a replacement as its faulty and was only bought a week ago. Is this correct?

And btw I have only used the official charger cable, and i bought the same device for a family member the day before and it has had no problems at all.
    I am going in to see the store manager about this today so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Is my device faulty - should it be replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by calz2525 View Post
    Hi I bought a new Nexus 7 (2012) just 1 week ago. Everything has been working fine until recently it would not switch on after being turned off for a few hours.
    After seeing threads about this problem i was able to turn it on by holding the power button for about 30 seconds, but the same thing happened again the next day after being powered off overnight.

I took the device to the store i bought it from but they would not give me a replacement, as they said "it turns on, and works fine" and they could not see the fault even though they had to hold the power on for 30 secs for it to start up.

Surely I am entitled to a replacement as its faulty and was only bought a week ago. Is this correct?

And btw I have only used the official charger cable, and i bought the same device for a family member the day before and it has had no problems at all.
    I am going in to see the store manager about this today so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Hi, sorry to hear about your problem. Maybe this might help you:

Posted via Android Central App with 2012 N7

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

I've had the same issue and recently started this thread about it.

Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012) Power up questions
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Hi Les thanks for the reply.
    Saying as I've only had the device for a week should I be able to replace it or will I just have to live with it?

Posted via Android Central App

I think your new Nexus is faulty. I would suggest you talk to the store and if they will not replace it just do a return. I have a 2012 Nexus 7 and it always pops right on. It's not a problem you should have to live with.

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Calz, I don't know for sure whether it is faulty or not, but ohmslaw is right, if your retailer won't replace it just return it (do a factory reset first) and go buy another somewhere else . I didn't have this problem until I was out of warranty, so I had no option to return or replace. As I mentioned in the other thread, it's not consistently a problem for me and not irksome enough that I can't live with it since I don't power off very often. In all other respects mine works just fine.

Which leads to a question for you - why are you powering down every nite? I generally just let mine sleep and only powercycle once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleLes View Post
    Which leads to a question for you - why are you powering down every nite? I generally just let mine sleep and only powercycle once in a while.
    Is it better to let the N7 sleep than to power it down? I power mine down every night. And I agree, if your shop won't replace it then get a refund and go elsewhere to get a new N7.

Posted via Android Central App with 2012 N7

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Vaper View Post
    Is it better to let the N7 sleep than to power it down? I power mine down every night.
    I don't know if it's better, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything. I don't power down my laptop or phone every day and I've never heard a reason why I should. Same here. I power down once a week or so, often longer, and charge the battery only when it's low and needs it so I'm not plugging in every night, either. I have a cover with a magnet, so essentially it sleeps every time I close the cover.

Did someone suggest you power down every day, and if so, why?