custom rom. am i doing it right?

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
NOT.:(

i am not a rom guy, but i have flashed a few for kicks. never on my n7 though. spent half the day trying to flash a rom, with zero luck. what am i doing wrong?

device is rooted. custom recovery is twrp, version is the latest, i think 2.6.3.1. i've tried simply loading the zip onto the tablet's sd card and flashing it from twrp, and i've tried with the nexus root toolkit. fail on both, multiple times. i admit that i only tried one specific rom, so i suppose it could be the rom was wiggy.

my n7 is on 4.4.2.

what happens is that twrp seems to be flashing the rom, and then i get a message that the install is complete, and then i re-boot....right back into stock 4.4.2.

and so, while i've flashed roms before, i'm thinking that my inexperience has me overlooking something dumb.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Could be that the ROM your trying to flash isn't based off Android 4.4.2. That being said, with any major OS update comes firmware upgrades, filesystem structure changes, etc.. So that could be the reason for it not taking if its a ROM based off an earlier version of Android like 4.3.x and lower.

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
ok, it is in fact based on 4.3. does that mean i should go back to 4.3? and then flash the custom rom?

i'm not anxious to flash a rom based on 4.4.2, at least not until i see some stable releases, as opposed to nightlies.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You could do that... It seems like every OS update since ICS has changed up file system structure and other under the hood things and that could be the reason your having troubles..

If you know how, I recommend backing up your info and then flashing the Google factory images to 4.3.x to reset the device and downgrade to the earlier official OS.