Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Tether Nexus 7 tablet to android phone

As a lot of folks have discussed, there used to be apps (PDAnet for one) that allowed tethering a tablet to a smartphone. After upgrading the tablet to Android 4.4, it quit working.
    Does anyone know of an app that allows tethering from an Android tablet to an Android phone?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Tether Nexus 7 tablet to android phone

Quote Originally Posted by spthomas View Post
    As a lot of folks have discussed, there used to be apps (PDAnet for one) that allowed tethering a tablet to a smartphone. After upgrading the tablet to Android 4.4, it quit working.
    Does anyone know of an app that allows tethering from an Android tablet to an Android phone?

Have you tried loading the PDAnet tablet app from the PlayStore?

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Default Re: Tether Nexus 7 tablet to android phone

Open Garden works really well.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.MeshClient

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Default Tether Nexus 7 tablet to android phone UPDATE

As of 1/20/2014, here's the status of this:

KitKat (all versions, 4.4, 4.4.1, 4.4.2) BROKE the networking needed for tethering, at least for Bluetooth (that was how PDANet Tablet connected to my HTC One). It still works with my HTC One and my PC, because my HTC One is on 4.3 Jellybean. My Nexus 7 2012 Tablet is on Kitkat 4.4.2, and it does NOT work with any tethering program I can find. Here's what I've found so far:

PDANet Tablet: I got this from the developers (support@junefabrics.com)
    "We are very sorry this is a known issue caused by a bug in the Android system. It causes apps to fail to recognize the network connection even though it is there. Google has promised to fix this issue in future updates unfortunately we do not know when."

EasyTether Tablet: Posted on their Play Store page:
    "DOES NOT SUPPORT TABLETS WITH KITKAT YET."

Open Garden: Posted on their Play Store Page:
    DO NOT upgrade to Android 4.4.x (KitKat)! Open Garden will not work, since Android 4.4.x KitKat broke the VPN:

If you want to see the actual bug issues posted to Google, here are some (courtesy of Open Garden):

https://code.google.com/p/android/is...etail?id=62714
    https://code.google.com/p/android/is...etail?id=62588
    https://code.google.com/p/android/is...etail?id=61948

So, it is certainly Kitkat (Anroid 4.4) that broke it. And as of 1/20/2014, it is definitely still broken

I do not know of any other way to tether a Kitkat enabled device or any other app that still works with Kitkat.

Steve

Default Re: Tether Nexus 7 tablet to android phone UPDATE

A kludgy workaround is to have a wifi hotspot other than from the phone (doesn't have to actually connect to anything) and connect the tablet to that 1st. You can then bring up the phone connection (Easy Tether in my case) and it works. Verified on bluetooth and USB with a Nexus 2013 running whatever the latest 4.4 upgrade is (4.4.2). However, carrying one more device just to get tethering is a bother. Particularly if it wasn't designed for portable use (and I don't want to buy a battery-powered wifi access point just for this use).