2013 nexus 7 tablet have missing app icons

Suzanne Campbell19

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I will download a app off of Google app store, like it is susposed too...it will put the app on the main screen for easy access, but after awhile the app will just disapeer, an the only way to use the app now is to go into Google play...go to "my apps" find it in list of apps i have downloaded an open it from there, how can I get the app to show back up on my main screen without downloading the app again, i have tryed re-down
Loading some that disapeered an didnt work or did an still disapeered an why are they disapeering in the first place?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you saying you don't even see the app in your App Drawer (the list of all of your installed apps that you get when you tap that circular icon with the grid of dots at the bottom of the screen)? The app icon you see on your homescreen is a shortcut, not the actual app (kind of like in Windows, when you see an icon on the Desktop). Shortcuts sometimes disappear from the homescreen, usually when the app has been updated.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
I would be interested in knowing if the apps are still in the drawer too.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

imipolex99

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I am having a similar/same problem, only seen in my 2013 Nexus 7 -- Apps are MIA on any screen, even though seemingly installed (somewhere). For example, I installed the Shortyz crossword app some time ago (apparently), but discovered this only when I went to Goggle Play to get it (again). From GP, it was obvious it was installed (since it offered only to Open it). The app worked fine w/o network connection, so clearly is somewhere on the Nexus 7, but no icon can be found (on the standard screens or via the Apps grid icon), and no evidence of it exists in the App Manager.

Any ideas what is up? I have been told to install an alternate app manager, but have never had to do this on other Android devices. Is Invisible App a new featiure? :(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you sure you installed that Shortyz app from Google Play? Sometimes, if you install an app from some other source (like Amazon Appstore, for example), it might still show up in your Google Play list of apps. Try uninstalling the app from Google Play, then reinstall it from Google Play.

If that doesn't work, there might be some screwy bit of data in the system cache (which is where installer files from Google Play are temporarily stored during the installation process). Wiping the system cache partition might be helpful, and won't erase any personal data. http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...e-nexus-7-2012-2013-cache-partition-wipe.html