Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default OTA Update Fails & Canít Flash Either Ė Help Please

OTA Update Fails & Canít Flash Either Ė Help Please

Hello everyone, I hope you can help me. This is my first post.

I have a Nexus 7 (2012) on 4.1.2. I rooted it using NRT 1.6.1 so just have root access running on Stock Android. I have never installed a custom rom. I didnít check the box for flash CWM option under the root button either.

Now after a year I want to update the Nexus to Kit Kat 4.4.2

I unrooted, carried out a factory reset and then an OTA update to 4.2.2 prompted me to install it. However, the OTA update fails when the progress bar gets to around 25%. I then flashed the N7 to 4.2.2 with NRT 1.6.1 which was successful. Then I tried again for an OTA update to 4.3 which failed again.

Then I tried flashing to 4.3 but NRT fails to do this. I updated to NRT 1.8 but this made no difference. Therefore, I am stuck on 4.2.2 and canít flash with NRT or take OTA updates.

Question 1: Could someone please offer some advice on why OTA doesnít work & how to update to Kit Kat 4.4.2?

Question 2: Once rooted does this permanently disable OTA updates even after you unroot and relock?

Thank you.

Default Re: OTA Update Fails & Canít Flash Either Ė Help Please

Is it fully charged and have you tried it with it plugged into a computer while you do the OTA update?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hello zedorda and thank you for your comments. I tried what you suggested but it failed as before.

With thanks to Paul627g, zero neck, GedBlake & other contributors I have managed to resolve the problems by reading through previous threads (I know, I should have done this before posting!) on here as follows.

[GUIDE][MAC/PC/LINUX][4.2] Unlock, Root and Flash Recovery

Upgrading from 4.1.1 to 4.4.2 on rooted Nexus 7 (2012 model)

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ml#post3332112

I downloaded Superboot & Universal Naked Driver & installed them in accordance with the instructions in the [GUIDE] above. Placed all the extracted files from the factory image 4.4.2 KOT49H in the superboot folder. Then I replaced the bootloader-grouper-4.23.img file with the working version as described by GedBlake in Upgrading from 4.1.1 to 4.4.2 on rooted Nexus 7 (2012 model). Connected Nexus 7 to pc & started up into bootloader. Then on the pc, double clicked Ďflash-all.batí.

It all worked and I now have 4.4.2 on Nexus 7 (2012).

Thank you to all those that took the time to read my post.

Glad everything worked out for you!

Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.