Nexus 7 not recognized by computer

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I recently went and tried connecting my nexus 7 (2012) to my pc, and absolutely nothing happened. No devices appeared in device manager, and my nexus 7 didn't appear under computer either. I tried putting it in PTP mode, and still nothing. I even turned on usb debugging, and tried usb 3.0 and 2.0, still nothing happened. I think it might be a problem on the pc, but I'm not sure. Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

NOTE: I did get it to work once before, but the next time that I logged onto my pc my nexus 7 would no longer connect.

Lupelamenta

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
It's the cable. Same thing happens to me when I use the cable that came with the Nexus, but when I use one that came with a Archos tablet or a Monoprice mini voila totally visible.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's certainly a good idea to try another microUSB cable, as mentioned above. Have you also tried rebooting both the PC and the tablet?

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes I have, and I just tried another cable and still nothing happened. I'm not rooted, so it's not that. It seems to be a problem with drivers, the problem is that the tablet wont send it's USB drivers to my PC so it wont register as a device. However I have no clue how to fix this.

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, I tried the solution you suggested, and it didn't work. I followed the steps, and deleted the old devices (showed 2 Nexus 7 devices) using the USBDeview program, and nothing happened again. It mentioned that I could manually install the drivers, but the problem with that is that I can't seem to find the nexus 7 drivers anywhere, not even on the ASUS website. This is becoming a real pain :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've seen this problem mentioned elsewhere, but so far I haven't been able to find any generic USB driver. The Android USB driver I find on the web is for debugging, so I'm not sure if that's the one you should use. Will keep looking into it.

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I'm decent with computers, but dealing with drivers is something totally new to me. Hopefully I will find an answer soon.

PS: I was thinking that if I were able to somehow re-update my nexus 7 to 4.4.2 that it might fix the problem, since it seems to have something to do with my nexus software rather than my pc. Just wondering what you think about this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting thought. One way to test things out might be to connect your Nexus 7 to some other computer and see if it gets recognized. If it doesn't, it may very well be an issue with the device. If it does, then I would focus back on your own computer.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Another thought--go to the support site for your computer's manufacturer, and look for the download for the main USB driver for you specific computer model. Even if it's the version you have, try installing it.

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I just confirmed that it is an issue with the tablet itself. I connected it to a different computer in the house and still got no response. The question now is how do I fix this issue since is is on the tablet? I would rather not have to re-install my OS (Don't know how either), but it may be the only option left. Please let me know if you find anything.

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I actually just tried this before you mentioned it, and it still did nothing. I am wondering about the option to "restart bootloader". Will this delete my data and files, or is it safe to do.

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Ok, now I'm really confused. I did a factory reset through the settings and it still does not connect! I then tried doing it again but through the bootloader, still nothing! I don't understand, shouldn't resetting it bring it back to normal? if not then is it a hardware issue rather than a software issue?

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The following steps might different depending on your version of Windows and what driver your PC loaded for your device. But idea is to uninstall the driver your PC is using and disconnect your Nexus 7 and reconnect.

Go into Devices and Printers on your windows PC >>> Right click your Nexus 7 >>> Properties >>> Hardware >>> Properties >>> Change settings >>> Driver >>> Uninstall. >>>>> Done >>>> Then unplug Nexus 7 and replug and Windows should load the correct driver and Nexus 7 should be recognized.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz