Nexus 7 (1st generation) stuck on start up

Owen Morris

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
hoping some one can help as im new to this

my son has had a nexus 7 (1st gen) for just over a year and had no problems with this.

Today none of the apps were loading and when he restarted the tablet it wont power up correctly and stays on the start up screen (4 coloured circles)

I have tried to hard reset it but no joy

Can anyone shed any light on this??

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Same problem, but that didn't work for me at all.

Welcome to Android Central! If that didn't work, you might have to do a full factory data reset from that Recovery Menu. It'll wipe all of your data, but if there's no other solution, it might at least get your device working again.

tigerhoodz06

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have the exact same problem. Did the factory reset and it still gets stuck on the boot screen with the four circles

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

qjuju

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If that didn't work, you might have to do a full factory data reset from that Recovery Menu. It'll wipe all of your data, but if there's no other solution, it might at least get your device working again.

Hi, I've got the same four 'merging/rotating' dots and have wiped the cache and done several full factory data resets, but nothing is working. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks.

tigerhoodz06

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't able to fix it myself. I contacted asus and they had me send it to them so they could assess the problem. They fixed it for free, even though my warranty was over. Contact them.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I've got the same four 'merging/rotating' dots and have wiped the cache and done several full factory data resets, but nothing is working. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks.

Sorry you're still having problems! I suppose you could try restoring the factory image, but all I can do is direct you to the thread, because I don't have direct experience with it: http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=191477

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

qjuju

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Sorry you're still having problems! I suppose you could try restoring the factory image, but all I can do is direct you to the thread, because I don't have direct experience with it: [GUIDE] Nexus 7 - Factory Image Restore - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

FANTASTIC!! That worked first time. I think you need a little knowledge/ability to attempt this fix, but it wasn't that difficult. Thanks again for all your help, B Diddy.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's great! Glad you figured it out.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

russelb

Sep 30, 2010
www.russlawaz.com
This method worked for me and I did not lose any of my data. Make sure you use the factory image for your build.

OK, I fixed mine without losing any data by following the instructions below, copied from here.
EDIT: To clarify, I have a 2012 wifi so used JWR66Y factory image and then used ADB sideload to install the kitkat zip update which I found on this page. link

-----------
I was in the same situation and ran into that issue as well. What I did was download the 4.3 factory image from here: https://developers.google.com/androi...s/images?hl=vi

Make sure you get the correct one for your device. I have a 2013 wifi so I chose: Android 4.3 (JSS15R)

Inside that downloaded file, you'll find image-razor-jss15r.zip. It's a couple of levels down. Unzip the files from there to your SDK folder (should be boot.img, recovery.img, system.img, userdata.img, and cache.img).

Boot your Nexus 7 to the bootloader (volume down + power) and connect to your PC with USB cable. Do NOT go into Recovery mode yet.

From the command prompt, make sure you can see your device: fastboot devices

Then, run the following commands:

fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot erase system
fastboot flash system system.img

At this point you have a clean install of 4.3 JSS15R.

Now go to Recovery mode and sideload the 4.4 OTA as you originally tried and it should work this time.

I followed these steps and was able to update to 4.4 without losing any data. YMMV

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37