Removing Roots and SU Binary from Nexus 7 (2012)?! WTF?

anon(3548152)

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I hope the "WTF" pretty much says what I (dont) know about rooting etc. As I barely know what rooting is (google it ya dummy!) I could really care less if my Nexus 7 is rooted or not. With that said... I have been trying to use Flixter to download or stream some of the digital movies I got with the blue-rays (for the kids of course!). After running a check, Flixter determined it was my unit causing Flixter not to work on my tablet.

Below is the response I got from Flixter:

The app is locating the SU binary, which is created when a device is rooted. This affects the native DRM on the device which prevents the Flixster app from working properly. You will need to delete or remove the binary in order to resolve the issue. There are several apps on the Google Play store that will assist with removing roots and the SU binary, however we do not support any of them since they are not tested by us.

My question is... how the heck do I do this? I have searched on how to.. but all I have found was how to put this stuff on... not take it off.

Any help (and understanding!) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Removing Roots and SU Binary?! WTF?

Well I think the question I have first is, are you rooted? Did you ever unlock the bootloader on the Nexus 7 and use a toolkit or other means to apply a custom recovery and root access?

If the answer is yes then you need to refer to this thread below to flash the factory images to remove root access. Just make sure you obtain the latest OS files " KitKat Android 4.4.2 " if you decide to do this.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...1477-guide-nexus-7-factory-image-restore.html

anon(3548152)

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Sorry... I forgot to mention I did by this unit second hand. While everything was reset for me when I bought it.

Flixter had asked me to use Root Checker to find out if it was rooted or not:
Screenshot_2014-02-21-13-36-48.pngScreenshot_2014-02-21-13-36-56.png

anon(3548152)

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Hmmmm.... had a look at the link you provided... and watched the video.

Seems like there would be too many things I could do to mess up my device. I think I will just have to live without having Flixter on my device! :)

GedBlake

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site

I hope the "WTF" pretty much says what I (dont) know about rooting etc. As I barely know what rooting is (google it ya dummy!) I could really care less if my Nexus 7 is rooted or not. With that said... I have been trying to use Flixter to download or stream some of the digital movies I got with the blue-rays (for the kids of course!). After running a check, Flixter determined it was my unit causing Flixter not to work on my tablet.

Below is the response I got from Flixter:

My question is... how the heck do I do this? I have searched on how to.. but all I have found was how to put this stuff on... not take it off.

Any help (and understanding!) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

Hi, dogday007...

You should tap on the "CHECK" button at the upper right hand corner of the ROOT INFO tab of the Root Checker app you have installed. This will then give details about the root status of your device.

If you're Nexus 7 is rooted with Chainfires SuperSU app, it should be relatively straightforward to unroot.

Go into the APP DRAWER, and locate the SuperSU icon(app)... by default, it's coloured yellow, with a large red hash (#) overlayed on top of it - (this can and may have been changed by the previous owner). Whatever the app icon design, it's called SuperSU.

Run it, then and go it's SETTINGS tab...

Scroll down to the FULL UNROOT - Cleanup for permanent unroot option...

Tap on it, and follow the on-screen instructions.

Upon reboot, your Nexus 7 should be unrooted.

Whether this will fix your Flixter problem and other DRM related content is unknown. Theoretically it should... but I've read elsewhere of people who've still had problems with DRM related content on once rooted devices and which have subsequently been unrooted.

In which case, you're probably going to have to fastboot flash back to factory stock, as per Paul627g's earlier advice.

Good luck, and hope this helps...

Rgrds,
Ged.

anon(3548152)

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Thank you sir. Unfortunalty I am unable to open Super SU.

Upon opening it I get a message saying
"There is no SU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it. This is a problem!

If you just upgraded to Android 4.3, you need to manually re-root - consult the relevant forums for your device!"

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

"There is no SU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it. This is a problem!

If you just upgraded to Android 4.3, you need to manually re-root - consult the relevant forums for your device!"

Then you'll have to go with the second option and flash factory images onto the phone since you no longer have access to the SU app

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Give those guides I sent you another look over. Sometimes reading it a few times gives it more clarity.

If anything having a Nexus gives you more peace of mind since Google provides official factory images to restore to stock. Basically it takes an awful big screw up to brick a Nexus.

Plus we have plenty of people here that would be willing to help and answer questions if you did try.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers