Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Fix broken screen on Nexus 7 (2012) - how hard is it?

Hi,

I once bought a Nexus 7 (1st gen), and after only two to three months it fell and the glass broke. So since then (that's already over a year ago) I have a Nexus 7 that won't turn on. After it fell, it was still on, and I could use it, though only a tiny part of the screen still reacted to my touch input. After turning it off it won't turn on anymore, but the backlight is still visible - just that the screen itself remains black.

So I checked on eBay today and they sell the display for 40 to 70 . Back then I would have to pay almost 200 (which is almost the price of the tablet, since I have the 3G which I bought in the US for 300 USD + tax). Since now it seems more reasonable to me to fix it - how hard is it?

I opened it up a couple days ago just to check how it looks on the inside (what can I break on something that is already broken). I tried removing the screen, but I wasn't able to do that. So if I found instructions on how to do it, what is the risk of breaking it even more and thus crashing another 40 to 70 for the new screen?

Problem is, I'm just a student with almost no income. So buying a new tablet is out of reach for me, and spending 40 or more is also quite an expense, but I really want my tablet back. When I first bought my tablet it wasn't that much of a problem since I was working back then. But now that I went back to school I really wish I had something to kill time during the 3 hours I spend on the train every Monday to Friday just to get to school and back.

I found those screen replacements on the German ebay website (I hope it's okay to post those). Are they any option and can I go for the cheaper ones?

ASUS GOOGLE NEXUS 7 - Touchscreen Digitizer Display Glas Scheibe SCHWARZ NEU | eBay (30 , so that's my favorite)
    Original Asus Google Nexus 7 Touch Screen Display Digitizer Frontglas brand Neu | eBay (40 , but that's still okay)
    Full LCD Display+Touch Screen Digitizer Bildschirm cran for Asus Google Nexus 7 | eBay (53 , that's already alot)
    Neu Display LCD Asus Google Nexus 7 Tablet Touchscreen GlasScheibe Komplett | eBay (68 , but at least it comes with all the tools)
    Original ASUS Google Nexus 7 Display CLAA070WP03 + Touchscreen Digitizer Einheit | eBay (70 , I hope it doesn't have to be this one!)

Also, if anybody has instructions on how to remove the screen I would also appreciate that, because I need to get that done before spending any money!

Thanks in advance