Apps updating twice or more on successive days? Or not updating at all?

UncleLes

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed some strange behavior from the Play Store. Several times in the recent past, apps have been updating two or more times on sequential days. It's not that the app has had multiple updates, it's that they have downloaded the same update more than one time. For example, when Chrome was updated, it downloaded and installed the update and showed up on my Recently Updated list on the Play Store. The next day, it had disappeared from the Recently Updated list and appeared on the Updates Available list, even though there was no new update, and downloaded and installed again! This has happened with multiple apps on multiple occasions over the last few weeks - in fact, it seems to happen more times than not.

Then every once in a while, I notice that an app appears in the Updates Available list, but doesn't download for several days, even though the it's set to auto-update and no new permissions are required. After it updates (sometimes auto-update, sometimes I force it to update) it may or may not exhibit the symptoms noted above.

Other than being perplexing, this doesn't seem to be affecting my tablet performance.

I'm running a stock 2012 N7, KitKat 4.2.2.

Is this normal? (Obviously, I think not, or I wouldn't be posting this....) Is there a fix?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've seen that lately with a few apps. Most of the time, I think it's due to a quick minor bugfix that the developer doesn't think merits a new version number or separate mention in the What's New section.

UncleLes

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly BDiddy, but it happens so often that I can't say that's the only reason. I've clicked on the arrow that expands the app description and scrolled all the way down to show the last update date and it has always been a few days earlier, which suggests it's not another minor update as I believe those dates are updated even if there's nothing noted in the What's New section.

Like I said earlier, it's annoying but doesn't affect the device performance, except for the fact that when updates are downloading the device is unable to do much of anything for a few seconds while the download and update takes place.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It does seem to be happening more often in the last week. Will keep an eye out for any news articles that address it.

gohan2091

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
This has been happening to be too. On my Samsung Galaxy S3 since last year and now S5. I got about 10 updates yesterday and now today most of these updates have reappeared with the same change log. It's annoying!

P-Squared

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I am seeing the same thing on my Galaxy Note 2 - ever since updating from Android 4.1.2 to 4.3. It happens quite often about 40% of the time since the OS update. I am alerted when updates are available. The duplicate alert is usually the next day. For some apps needing update, the current app version is not shown and there is no version history. In those cases - I see that the update file size is the same size as on the previous day and that the installed version does not change after the update. The update description is also a carbon copy of the one on the previous day.

The other odd thing happening since the OS update is that most updates download twice. Just as the update progress reaches 100%, instead of installing - the update starts all over again and then installs. This happens on both a good quality wireless and 4G data connection - I have no problems downloading anything else in the same time frame, no problems loading WEB pages.

This is mildly annoying and wastes my data allotment when on 4G. Anyone else seeing this additional problem?

Pete

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Same here on Note 3. Stock 4.4.2. Repeated updates without changes in date or size of update. No big deal, just annoying.

Niteesh Shanbog

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
I am seeing the same thing on my Galaxy Note 2 - ever since updating from Android 4.1.2 to 4.3. It happens quite often about 40% of the time since the OS update. I am alerted when updates are available. The duplicate alert is usually the next day. For some apps needing update, the current app version is not shown and there is no version history. In those cases - I see that the update file size is the same size as on the previous day and that the installed version does not change after the update. The update description is also a carbon copy of the one on the previous day.

The other odd thing happening since the OS update is that most updates download twice. Just as the update progress reaches 100%, instead of installing - the update starts all over again and then installs. This happens on both a good quality wireless and 4G data connection - I have no problems downloading anything else in the same time frame, no problems loading WEB pages.

This is mildly annoying and wastes my data allotment when on 4G. Anyone else seeing this additional problem?

Pete

Same problem. I use a moto e. Sometimes the update downloads twice