Good bye Android, hello Apple... And that's why...

Amamba

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I always thought that Android was superior because of all the freedom, customization and hardware selection that comes with it.

Unfortunately I got to the point where I gave my Nexus 7 to my son and bought a rather expensive iPad Mini Retina to do the same thing with it ... And that's why.

We had 6 Android devices in the last 3 or so years. Only one ( my wife's Samsung Galaxy S3) didn't crap out... Yet.

Her original Android phone - nothing but resets, slowdowns and inexplicable battery discharges.

The original Kindle Fire - a great device for what it does. Just over a year later the charging port works itself loose. Apparently a widespread problem related to the poor design. Can't be soldered back, it's a press fit connection. Amazon suggests we buy a refurb for $139 to replace the $199 tablet that's only a couple months out of warranty... And of course the same design. No way.

My original Nexus 7 - a great tablet at first. Then a major slowdown after 4.1 (or was it 4.2) update, to the point it became useless. 4.3 fixed it somewhat, but it still lags and slows down after a while, some people say due to deteriorating memory chip. Both mine and my kids' Nexii developed a lose power connector, luckily easy to fix. And turning the encryption on seems to introduce additional slowdowns and stability issues.

My HTC Evo 4G LTE was a great phone until something happened with charging circuit after just 5 months and it wouldn't turn the screen back on after going to sleep. Again, seems to be a common enough problem. The replacement unit worked fine, hope it lasts to the end of my contract.

So far, 5 problematic units out of 6. OTOH my wife's iPad 3 works without any resets or reboots or me going in with tape and pliers. My friend's original iPad that he bought second hand still works fine.

I still think Android could eat Apple for lunch - but they need to stop being sloppy. Especially with hardware.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Hardware issues aren't the fault of Android. That's just the software. Manufacturers are responsible for hardware failures. However, I can understand your frustration. Apple has really good quality control, probably the best in the mobile space. So I can see not wanting to deal with anymore Android devices any longer and going to Apple. I also think that it helps that Apple has actual stores you can go to when you have issues. Fortunately, for me, I haven't really had significant hardware issues on my Android devices that I haven't had on my iPhone or iPad. The last time I had hardware issues that was outside of the norm with an Android devices was back when I had the HTC Hero and I was getting a lot of dust under the screen. I had never known another smartphone to have that issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20