Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Charging from a 220V Outlet

I have a Nexus tablet, bought in Canada, that I believe uses a 5V / 2A adapter. I can't really read the label on the side of the adapter anymore, but from browsing the Net I noticed that this (i.e. 5V / 2A) should be the standard for the 2012 version of the 7" Nexus tablet.

The problem that I have is that I'm planning on traveling to Europe soon and I'm pretty sure that the standard plug connector in North America is NOT going to fit into the European wall sockets. So how can I charge my Nexus over there?

As I see it, the simplest thing would be to use a plug adapter (such as this one: http://www.safenet.com/images/plug_adapter_euro_lg.jpg) and keep the original power adapter that comes with the tablet. Would that work? (As I said, I can't read the label on the adapter anymore so I can't see if it is able to take in 220V or is built for 110V only. If the latter case, then I guess this won't be a valid solution.)

Could anyone please recommend a tried-and-true solution?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Charging from a 220V Outlet

No one here went through a similar situation and is willing to share the story? Hmmm...

Welcome to Android Central! The official Nexus 7 charger specifies 110-240V, so if you have the charger that came with the device, it ought to be compatible. I agree that it can often be difficult to read the fine print on the charger itself--try using a magnifying glass and a penlight, if you want to be absolutely sure.

https://play.google.com/store/device...exus_7_charger

Seems to me you would also need something like this.
    Amazon.com: TOOGOO 5X USA US to EU Euro Plug Converter Travel Charger Adapter AC Power Plug Adapter: Cell Phones & Accessories

This is not from experience.

Correct--assuming the charger is the official Nexus 7 charger that can operate between 110 and 240 V, then all you need is the plug adapter to fit the country's sockets--no need for the voltage converter.

All OEM power adapters for smartphones and tablets that I have seen support both 110/220. So just a plug adapter is all you need. I have used a few US spec chargers in 220v countries without issue. But always check to make sure that the charger supports the voltage of wherever you are going

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    B. Diddy likes this.

ROM
    ICS 4.0.5

I just used a US to NZ plug adapter when my Nexus 7 arrived from Amazon. No problems at all with 230 volts..