(2012) random shutdown then losses 26% of it's battery in less than 2 hours

Rick Garza

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I ran into this peculiar issue today.

I took my nexus 7 off the battery at about 2:50 PM yesterday afternoon.I used it a little between then an midnight at which time it was at 94%.

At 6:50 am, with a 92% charge, this morning it apparently shutdown on its own.

At 9:47 am I gave the power button a short press like I would normally do to wake it up from sleep.

Nothing happened.

Concerned I gave it a long press and still nothing happened. I was no more concerned and feared the battery had just died due to some defect. I plugged in the charger and did another long press. Still nothing. So, I held the button down for a much longer period of time than I normally do for a cold boot and it finally turned on.

I checked my battery monitor and saw that it had lost 26% while apparently in shutdown mode.

I opened my battery health monitor and it is showing a charging cycle of 98%. From the test it appears the battery is fine.

I just noticed an odd thing is happening with charging. Normally charging is somewhere between 250 to 440 range. Charging now is seeing numbers as high 730. in about an hour it has charged from 66% to 88% which doesn't seem abnormal.

Have any of you experienced something like this?

electronicwiz1

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Actually mine did something similar to that. A few months ago, I turned it off. A few days later, I tried to turn it on and it didn't turn on. I plugged it into the charger and nothing. I left it plugged in for an hour and finally the charging screen came up. The battery was low when I turned it on. It was like 70% when I turned it off before. However yesterday, it wouldn't turn on again, and wouldn't respond to the charger. I kept pushing the button and a minute later, it turned itself on with the same battery life. This is a screenshot of a few months ago where it shows the battery suddenly dropped. Its so weird. I hope it doesn't do it again!
3a4avu8e.jpg

Oh, and it takes forever to charge.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Rick Garza

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Mine is still acting odd. I lost 3% between 2:50 PM and 4:00 PM while it was sleeping. That comes out to just under 3% per hours meaning (sleeping) it would drain to 0% in 33 hours. Something is definitely off.