Can software be replaced on a dead Nesus 7?

dlhanna

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
My Nexus 7 (2012) seems to have a serious software problem. Is it possible to wipe and reload all of the software when I can not get any thing on the display. Most of the toolkits that I have looked at tell you to press the Power and Volume keys to get into Recovery mode. Pressing these keys separately or in various combintions as instructed does not get any response. When I connect to an USB port on my PC, the PC sees the unit by beepong and saying that it is an unidentified USB device
Is there some way to replace the bootloader and other software on the dead Nexus with the factory versions? Additional info on this problem is in my 4/20 post tha I placed by mistake on the Nexus 7 root subgroup. My Nexus was unrooted with original unmodified software.

Is there any hope of saving my Nexus 7 or is this what "Bricking" is all about. I will appreciate any suggestions.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

This is indeed a tough situation with no display activity.

I guess first thing I should ask, did you ever enable developer options on the Nexus 7 in your Settings? That would be needed to enable USB debugging so the device can be recognized to unlock the bootloader and flash the factory images (software).

GedBlake

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 7 (2012) seems to have a serious software problem. Is it possible to wipe and reload all of the software when I can not get any thing on the display. Most of the toolkits that I have looked at tell you to press the Power and Volume keys to get into Recovery mode. Pressing these keys separately or in various combintions as instructed does not get any response. When I connect to an USB port on my PC, the PC sees the unit by beepong and saying that it is an unidentified USB device
Is there some way to replace the bootloader and other software on the dead Nexus with the factory versions? Additional info on this problem is in my 4/20 post tha I placed by mistake on the Nexus 7 root subgroup. My Nexus was unrooted with original unmodified software.

Is there any hope of saving my Nexus 7 or is this what "Bricking" is all about. I will appreciate any suggestions.

Hi, dlhanna...

Is there some way to replace the bootloader and other software on the dead Nexus with the factory versions?

No... not if your current bootloader is dead.

YOU NEED A WORKING BOOTLOADER, TO FLASH A BOOTLOADER.

The device is HARDBRICKED, and you can not enter FASTBOOT mode without one... nor will the device boot.

See my more extensive reply to your question, here...http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...-jelly-bean-wont-do-anything.html#post3599300.

Sorry... but I think your Nexus 7 is unrecoverably hardbricked.

Rgrds,
Ged.

dlhanna

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the response. No, I did not enable the developer options under settings since I was not planning to do any software modifications.

Dave

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the response. No, I did not enable the developer options under settings since I was not planning to do any software modifications.

Dave

That's unfortunate this happened. Your best move would be to contact Asus about repair.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888