Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7 locked in a strange diagnostic screen sequence

I have a nexus 7 gen 1 16G that got wet today while it was turned off. (It fell into my cooler which was half full of ice and water) I have opened it up dried it completely out, used a hair drier to be sure and left it apart and drying with a fan for several hours. It is completely dry now. When I say I opened it up, to took it totally apart into it's many single components to ensure each was totally dry. It was not "full" of water but there were droplets most everywhere.

It is now back together and when I power it on it goes through what appears to be a video card diagnostic by flashing a red, then green, then blue, then white, then gray scale vertical, then grayscale horizontal, then single black with white line border, then single block in center with white background, then checkerboard, then test pattern of colors, and repeats over and over. I might have missed a screen or two and the sequence might not be exact.

It is clearly able to do something, but I have no idea how to get out of this and do the normal reset.

The only way to turn it off is to disconnect the battery. The reset key function of volume down and power on only starts this same strange screen sequence. The color screens are full screen solid colors.

The battery has a near full charge as I was using it only an hour before this accident happened.

Oddly enough this sequence will keep running even with the back cover removed. However once I stop it by removing the battery and plugging the battery back in, it can not be started again unless the back cover is put back on.

Any suggestions or is it toast?

I ordered a new Nexus 7 tonight in the event this one is now a brick. Having two would be nice.

Tom

Default Re: Nexus 7 locked in a strange diagnostic screen sequence

You could still have moisture inside of plug connections or inside switches. A few hours in front of a fan is not enough in my experience. It can take days to dry out inside of some connectors an or switches depending on temperatures and humidity. Turning it on too soon with moisture in the right place can and often does permanent damage to components.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk