Nexus 7 (2012): Android 4.4.3 Factory Image

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Has the OTA started?

No update for me

It's been too long since the release of the Factory Image without an OTA for nakasi to still expect one to magically appear.

If you've unlocked your bootloader you can still update manually without loosing data. (Unlocking the bootloader wipes all data.)
_____

Uninstall Xposed Framework and any Modules. (If you have this.)

(If you are rooted.) Use the Remove Root function in Super User settings. It is mandatory that you remove root access. Remove the SU App (no worries you'll get it back later after the update process).

(If you have a custom kernel.) Did you save the stock kernel as a backup? Save your custom kernel settings (if your kernel allows) and then restore your stock kernel. If you didn't save the stock kernel... Don't panic. Go to the next step.

Do you have the Wugfresh Nexus Root Toolkit? If not - get it and get it installed. Nexus Root Toolkit v1.8.3 | WugFresh Make sure it is set up for your current model and OS version and that all files are current for the Toolkit. In the Toolkit click on Advanced Utilities - you can restore stock kernel from here if you need to and you will also restore stock recovery from here. It is mandatory that your kernel and recovery are both stock.

Download the proper Factory Image if you do not already have it. https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Extract the KTU84L factory image > open folder > open second folder - this is where the bootloader-grouper-4.23.img is, you may need this.
Extract the image-nakasi-ktu84l.zip >open the image-nakasi-ktu84l folder - here are the bits you need to flash: boot.img & system.img
_____

Plug your nakasi into your PC
Open your command prompt.
Code:
adb devices
You should get a return if you are connected.
_____

Code:
adb reboot fastboot
wait for reboot
Code:
fastboot devices
You should get a return if you are in fastboot mode. Do a visual inspection to ensure you are at bootloader 4.23 in the text area of the fastboot screen on your Nexus 7. If you are at 4.23, skip this next step, otherwise:
Code:
fastboot flash bootloader <filepath>\bootloader-grouper-4.23.img
Wait for it to finish.
_____

Code:
fastboot flash boot <filepath>\boot.img
Wait for it to finish.
Code:
fastboot flash system <filepath>\system.img
Wait for it to finish.
_____

Code:
fastboot reboot
_____

On the main panel for Nexus Root Toolkit, use the button for Root and check (enable) the Custom Recovery option.

You will be at Factory 4.4.3, have root access and TWRP custom recovery without loss of data. Restore your custom kernel. Reinstall Xposed and Modules.
_____

If you have not unlocked your bootloader, there is no way I know of for you to update without loosing data. You would have to upgrade (a factory reset + install 4.4.3) after your bootloader is unlocked. Wugfresh's Nexus Root Toolkit will do both of those for you.
_____

Hope this gets you sorted out so you can be up and running with the latest.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Lagging behind is one thing, being left behind another. How do you feel about no OTA?

Odd that it has been this long, but I would find it even more odd if Google killed the OTA and remained silent about it. I'm expecting it to still come, because I think Google would have made a statement by now that OTA's had stopped. I suppose this update might skip the Nexus 7 (2012) if the next one is just around the corner.