Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wifi won't turn on; MAC address unavailable

I've had my Nexus 7 Tablet for about a year without a problem. Recently I opened my tablet to find the Wi-Fi icon in the upper right missing. I tried to turn the Wi-Fi on, but the process just hung there. I rebooted and got the same thing. I checked under Advanced Wi-Fi and found the MAC address unavailable.

I rebooted several times over the next few days, and finally the Wi-Fi was back to normal. That lasted for three weeks, and then, boom, back to the same thing for 3 days, then Wi-Fi was on for three days and then today, back to no Wi-Fi and MAC address unavailable.

Any ideas on how to remedy this situation, short of a factory reset? I've heard that it could be an android system file that needs to be replaced by downloading it, although I know not which file. Could a recently installed App be causing this? My guess is that it's something in the boot process. Please help!
    Banned

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

Default Re: Wifi won't turn on; MAC address unavailable

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Brienza View Post
    I've had my Nexus 7 Tablet for about a year without a problem. Recently I opened my tablet to find the Wi-Fi icon in the upper right missing. I tried to turn the Wi-Fi on, but the process just hung there. I rebooted and got the same thing. I checked under Advanced Wi-Fi and found the MAC address unavailable.

I rebooted several times over the next few days, and finally the Wi-Fi was back to normal. That lasted for three weeks, and then, boom, back to the same thing for 3 days, then Wi-Fi was on for three days and then today, back to no Wi-Fi and MAC address unavailable.

Any ideas on how to remedy this situation, short of a factory reset? I've heard that it could be an android system file that needs to be replaced by downloading it, although I know not which file. Could a recently installed App be causing this? My guess is that it's something in the boot process. Please help!
    Well I think the solution lies only inside the factory reset, try doing a soft factory reset it will not delete you data rather than it will reset all the settings back to the time when you have purchased your device.

If you haven't tried rebooting your router, I recommend you do so.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Before I had a chance to do anything, my tablet rebooted by itself and is stuck at the startup screen, with the four colored circles rotating in place. It does not respond to powering off with the power button. I'm guessing my tablet is done for.

It does not respond to powering off with the power button. I'm guessing my tablet is done for.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Brienza View Post

i also have a same problem with you. i tried to do as follow and succeeded
    - go to data/misc/wifi (required root)
    -backup file wpa_supplicant.conf in this folder which contains usename and password wifi
    - delete all file in this folder
    - turn on wifi ( if you careful, you can reboot )
    - now you can connect to wifi
    - recovery file wpa_supplicant.conf

thanks bro its working