Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default how to change OS

How can I dump the Nexus 7 OS completely and load Ubuntu or Xubuntu into it????
    anyone know how??????????????

Default Re: how to change OS

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

that is un supported... I need someone who has done it to tell how, I am running xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dr9911 View Post
    that is un supported... I need someone who has done it to tell how, I am running xubuntu
    There is no currently supported Ubuntu/Xubuntu project from Canonical for Nexus 7 2012. It has all been deprecated so far as I know. You have to use the old info for anything from Canonical.

Alternately, you could do some web searching for community/user projects. I found this vid quite easily.
    Nokia Lumia 1520.3 (Factory Unlocked): Windows Phone 8.1 w/ Lumia Cyan
    Dell Venue 8 Pro (32GB): Windows 8.1 Desktop OS w/ Office 2013 H&S
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I found cryogenMod ..at least its a slight alternative to bloated Google ware. I downloaded the installer but the instructions dont say how to actually do the mod.???I am running Xubuntu..... Anyone know how to reflash the Nexus 7 with this??
    I would like the installer to do it but it doesnt say how to get it going after getting the installer..

From the title, I thought this would be a tutorial.
    Bummer.
    Photoshop and drums, seven of my favorite things.

I found cryogenMod ..at least its a slight alternative to bloated Google ware. I downloaded the installer but the instructions dont say how to actually do the mod.???I am running Xubuntu..... Anyone know how to reflash the Nexus 7 with this??
    I would like the installer to do it but it doesnt say how to get it going after getting the installer..
    Your goal now becomes less clear.

Are you trying to get away from Android or just away from stock Factory Image? Do you want a mobile OS or a desktop Version OS?

Cryogenmod? Or Cyanogenmod?

If there are Google Bits that you don't want you can always disable them. I always disable the parts of Googleware I never use and it does streamline things.

Meanwhile, Cyanogenmod is not an alternate OS; it is another version of Android. Alternate OSs that I am aware of which can be run on the N7 2012 include Ubuntu Touch and Ubuntu Desktop. Both of these are deprecated so you have to use older images, but not that old. Both can be installed as complete replacements to Android and would be the sole boot option. Of the two, Ubuntu Desktop should be the more complete option. Ubuntu Touch is still evolving and has spun out way past the point when N7 2012 lost its support. With Ubuntu Desktop you at least get a finalized OS image of the LTS 13.04. That would be the link that bdiddy first posted above: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation For Ubuntu Touch use: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install The images for Touch are still on the servers and you can use them - latest update 12 July, 2013.

Alternately, you could use MultiRom to boot into more than one choice of OS. [MOD][JUN 05] MultiROM v24 - xda-developers That opens you up to a whole new world of try before you buy options.
    Nokia Lumia 1520.3 (Factory Unlocked): Windows Phone 8.1 w/ Lumia Cyan
    Dell Venue 8 Pro (32GB): Windows 8.1 Desktop OS w/ Office 2013 H&S
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I think Multirom is a good direction but I cannot get it loaded into my nexus... something is going wrong after the unlock which I can do... Is it Xubuntu 13.04??? I need someone to load it for me maybe using Windows..or advice..

I think Multirom is a good direction but I cannot get it loaded into my nexus... something is going wrong after the unlock which I can do... Is it Xubuntu 13.04??? I need someone to load it for me maybe using Windows..or advice..
    Have you tried the Cyanogen Installer?

CyanogenMod | Android Community Operating System